Author Topic: big american tomatoswap  (Read 2330 times)

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
big american tomatoswap
« on: January 08, 2008, 15:44:09 »
Hello everybody me is asked if i knew any new participates for a very hugh tomatoswap.Last year it worked out so well i had a lot of new tomato varieties,about 60 new ones.I will hear from you if you want to join this swap

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
Re: big american tomatoswap
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 15:49:19 »
Hello everybody me is asked if i knew any new participates for a very hugh tomatoswap.Last year it worked out so well i had a lot of new tomato varieties,about 60 new ones.I will hear from you if you want to join this swap

Hi Ruud, dit klink interesant - how does one participate?

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 15:53:01 »
Ruud I would have loved to have joined in - I am always too slow :( to get in on the act. however in this case - not realising this sort of fun could be had - I have gifted all my surplus interesting tomato varieties, sent out 13 pkts earlier this week! ah well will just have to wait for another swap to come along :( :( if I only new how to set them up I would be tempted to have a go myself!

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 15:55:16 »
Ruud I would have loved to have joined in - I am always too slow :( to get in on the act. however in this case - not realising this sort of fun could be had - I have gifted all my surplus interesting tomato varieties, sent out 13 pkts earlier this week! ah well will just have to wait for another swap to come along :( :( if I only new how to set them up I would be tempted to have a go myself!

I wish I could be as discplined as you.  At last count I have 45 different tomato varieties, so hardly need more, but the temptation to try something different is too strong...

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 16:00:38 »
Hi Rob08 it isn't discipline just concerned I haven't got anything interesting enough to put in I would just be tempted by all the luvelys to take out of the parcel

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 16:24:03 »
Hi rob,intresant is het nie.i participate last year,everyone who joins is sending 10 or 15 different varieties tomatoes to a member of a big tomatoside in america.That member is the inventor of this swap,she is collecting all the seeds.Than she is splitting all the seeds and devide them under all the participated.Last year i had an amount of 60 new varieties.Everybody who want to join this swap has to e-mail her.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 16:41:55 »
I might be interested if you could tell me where I can get more details from XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

natasha

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 18:36:18 »
Hi Ruud,

Can I please take part in the big american tomato swap?

Regards,
Natasha

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 20:16:47 »
I think this would be a great idea for us to do on A4A. Less postage for all concerned  ???
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 23:54:34 »
Lauren, I might agree but I would  not  do it  as the pot lucks swaps that are going on at the moment.  They are fine, please don't misunderstand me,I am currently running one, but for a large tomato swap  I think  all the participants would have  to have a very good seed stash for it to be practical. I have been in tomato swaps before  but it has to be considered what is to be swapped for what, eg taking out  a prepackaged envelope of say 15 seeds of a rare expensive tomato and popping in the same size pack of  a very basic cheap seed would not be  fair to the folks who have a really good seed stash, it might seem a bit negative but I think it is realistic to consider that. If it was done as the pot luck that are going on now for eg, who is going to start it bearing in mind that the organiser has to put out everything in the parcel, if he/she was to but 60 or 80 tomatoes varieties in and get back tons of say Moneymakers or Gardeners Delight he'she had really donated all their good seeds and got back nothing in return. I would insist that all seeds were packed  into small envelopes , clearly markes as to the type, growth form, colour weight, days to maturity, wether home grown or bought. All the envelopes would put the same number of seeds in each envelope 15 perhaps amd the taker would take the full envelope,  and for every envelope they take out the same number would be put in. Ans participants should put their names on the packets.

This type of swap would not be much good to a newbie with very few seeds.

If I did it, and I said last autumn I  posted I would do another  pot luck swap(it is on) in the Soring and possibly a bean, squash, tomato one , as I had several requests , but I have had to put it off  as another tomato swap started here.

If I did one I  would also post what was going in the parcel before I acceped the names so serious collectors could decide if it was what they wanted and I would try to put seeds in that were rare etc and I would expect the others to do the same.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 15:42:04 »
Last years swap didnot contain any for me comman tomatoseed,all 60 were unknown for me.I agree you must have already a fair amount of tomatovarieties to swap with,but never the less it is fun such a big surprise package in your mailbox.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 19:29:19 »
Hi Ruud, I think you have made my point, as you had 60 varieties in your swap packet, I think that is an excellent swap and one I would have been delighted to join in. XX Jeannine

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 17:35:52 »
You have got a p,m,natasha

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 12:11:41 »
I got a big surprise today the postman brought a package from the states.Inside were 40 different varieties of toms and new this year eleven different types of pumkins and gourds.I hope that the other ones who participated also got such a surprise package from the states. 

natasha

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 12:48:17 »
Hi Ruud,
I also took part in the swap but I suspect my letter never made it to the states.  :'(
It is actually my second swap with America which didn't work out (first time around the person got my parcel but I haven't received anything back), may be I should change my packaging habit, I'll try once more later this year and if it doesn't work for me, I'll have to give up.
But I'm happy that it works for everyone else.
 ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal