Author Topic: CPR for Lupines?  (Read 1373 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
CPR for Lupines?
« on: February 27, 2008, 22:14:52 »
I've been coddling some lupines from a Fall planting. Out of one packet of seeds 6 made it alive in the Fall. This Winter it looked like I had 4 going. Now I see something dug up 2 of them :'(
I found them half dried out though each had two slightly green leaves

Tried your loo roll trick. Do you think they're resurrectable?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 22:16:36 by GrannieAnnie »
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: CPR for Lupines?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 23:47:07 »
Certainly worth trying GA, they are pretty hardy, but I would be inclined to care a bit more for them. Specially as your winters are much colder than ours. If you have somewhere frost free but light, just to get the roots established again.

Why do we always get casualties when there are so many new born seeds taking up all the space.......typical. I bet they are just sympathy seeking :D!!
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 03:39:47 »
Certainly worth trying GA, they are pretty hardy, but I would be inclined to care a bit more for them. Specially as your winters are much colder than ours. If you have somewhere frost free but light, just to get the roots established again.

Why do we always get casualties when there are so many new born seeds taking up all the space.......typical. I bet they are just sympathy seeking :D!!
They are inside in the bedroom. I hope the sudden shock of a warm "bed" isn't too much for them. They were outside in snow flurries today before their rescue.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 13:51:55 »
Do you think they're resurrectable?

Yes!! but don't keep them too warm what the want is plenty of light and a temperature of around 4°-10°C (40°-50°F). i.e. a little warmer than they would have been outdoors where they would have developed nicely had they not been dug up.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 14:34:43 »
This morning one's leaves are shriveled. It looks like Curtains for that one.

The other still has a plumpness to it and is now in bright light ( earlier I was afraid to do that since the roots were disturbed).  So I'm a bit more hopeful for it's little life today. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal