Author Topic: hanging baskets  (Read 6014 times)

debster

• Hectare
hanging baskets
« on: February 22, 2008, 19:54:06 »
ok folks thought i might like to have a go at a couple of hanging baskets this year, when would i be thinking of doing them (cos they are on sale now) and what would be a good idea to put in them, would it be best to start them from bulbs/seeds or from plants, and if the baskets are plastic lined do i need to put moss in?
thanks
debs

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: hanging baskets
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 20:05:55 »
In our house, the Senior Management does the hanging baskets. (First one went out April 15th last year, but it was a rather warm April so that was earlier than normal.)

As Jobbing Gardener, I'm allowed (expected?) to raise stuff from seed to put in them: already got petunias on the go; other stuff to follow soon. And I also over-winter fuchsias & pelargoniums. But we cheat as well and buy tot plants at the garden centre!

Speaking as someone who's never done a hanging basket in his life, I'd say that a mix of mature(ish) plants & annuals looks good. But hang on a bit before you start.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 20:07:47 »
thats cool thanks its just that if i was going to grow them from seed or bulbs then i would need to choose and buy them then get them started in time to go out

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 20:10:36 »
we put surfinia, petunia, bacopa,or bidens, plus a geranium in the middle..some grown from seed, the rest plug plants or cuttings from last year  :)
we always mix in feed and water retention mix  :)
forgot, lobelia, that's one we buy plugs of, the seeds do my head in  ;D

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 21:00:57 »
thank you manics when would you be thinking of putting them together

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 21:04:29 »
we'll only plant them up mid april, hang them in the poly and put them out to harden up a few weeks before we sell them, pity me, we're doing about 80 this year  ;D

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 21:09:08 »
80!!!!  :o :o :o im only thinking of doing 2 perhaps i could just pop mine on the end of your production line cos you wont notice two more lol  ;D :-*

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 21:50:41 »
go for it, debster, I must be mad  ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 22:14:52 »
Of course your mad Manics, not allowed in A4A otherwise ;D ;D ;D

ps Ive only got 4 baskets to make up, can I sneak 'em in after Debster's 8)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 23:34:45 »
Don`t forget the loveliest of all hanging basket plants the Fuchsia,  MARINKA, is great for the front of hanging baskets.  I do my 6 every year.  Also plant up the winter ones to put out in October.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 23:43:15 »
Years ago I used to plant hanging baskets just with Fuchsia swingtime.Beautiful :)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 23:54:26 »
Rosebud, what do you put in your winter baskets?

Thanks

cj :)

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 10:16:12 »
I used to use a lot of hanging baskets in a previous backyard garden.

An Alan Titchmarsh piece of advice proved really useful - line the baskets with wool material. Not only will it rot down eventually in your compostbin, but while in the basket it will help retain moisture. Titchmarsh naturally had a viewer who supplied a knitted liner, I used old wool blankets obtained from jumbles and charity shops. Cut around a dustbin lid for a 12-inch liner.

Drawback - until the blannkets get a little mouldy/mossy their original colour shows. Disgusting pink and yucky green is not uncommon in old blankets...

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 16:52:25 »
we used old carpet underlay last year, worked a treat  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 17:12:25 »
If you have plastic lining Debster, you wont need moss or anything else at all of that nature. I buy slow release feed and also 'swell gel' to mix into the compost to help keep them damp as they tend to dry out so quickly in hot weather (presumptous aint I ;D).
Last year I put only ivy leaved geraniums in mine, they trailed brilliantly and they were a picture all summer long.
Good luck with your 80 baskets Mal, now that's going some :o
Smile, it confuses people.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 20:57:09 »
CJ, i put "tete T tete", in first then small trailing Ivy's, winter pansy, crocus,.

2ND basket, winter primroses, mini tulips, trailing ivy,yellow Pansy's.
3rd basket, fill with winter foliage plants, put in mini red tulips, trailing ivy.
Thennnnnnn,  :oi put something from each basket into the others great fun , lovely & colourfull. Hope this helps a little, CJ.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 21:00:13 »
Thanks Rosebud,

I like the idea of the trailling ivy....gives something to 'hang'. ;D I think I will definately give it a go next winter.

cj :)

ox

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 16:10:15 »
try nasturtium in baskets they are really nice they flow down really well
Strawberries too they look nice as well.
I am growing some , petunias geranium, trailing lobilia I can not however get any fuchsia seeds.

Jim 

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 22:20:54 »
try nasturtium in baskets they are really nice they flow down really well
I am growing some , petunias geranium, trailing lobilia I can not however get any fuchsia seeds.
Jim 
From personal experience, nasturtiums are great in hanging baskets, until the cabbage white caterpillar strikes. Then they are eaten to death.

jim, in my experience,  fuchsias are better grown from cuttings rather than seed.

valmarg

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 22:29:16 »
this maybe a little bit off topic but does anyone recognise this 'spikey' flowered plant on the right hand side it is part of the dobies hot hot hot collection in their catalogue and is not something we have seen before - anyone know the name of it??? :-\
  ooh just realised i dont know how to put an image in!!!  ::)  i'll go and find a lesson and be back!!  ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal