Author Topic: HOW DO YOU SHARPEN SHEARS?  (Read 5922 times)

betula

• Hectare
HOW DO YOU SHARPEN SHEARS?
« on: February 21, 2008, 20:34:14 »
Can someone tell me please ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: HOW DO YOU SHARPEN SHEARS?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 20:59:20 »
Use a flat sharpening stone with oil on and run it along the bevelled outer-edge of the blade from bottom to top. Don't touch the inner edges with the stone.
 Check that the blades are aligned and touching as they cut by holding up to the light and look 'between' the blades as you close them. You should see a contact point betwen the blades move upwards to the tip as you close them.
 Hope that makes sense. I could maybe try and take a pic or two this weekend to help with explaining.
Ken.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 21:04:15 »
Thanks KenWent to use mine today and really blunt.All of them,I have about four pairs.I want to start maintaining them properly. ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 22:27:05 »
I remember an old chao many moons ago coming round on his bike with a grind stone attaced to the front wheel to sharpen any kind of blade even shears, so I would take them apart and run them over my grind stone and then use an oil stone to finish off, :)

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 22:30:41 »
Hi,
An angle grinder would do it nice a quickly. I haven't tried it on shears, but it sharpens the mower blades a treat
Sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 22:37:54 »
I am a bit confused about the stones. :-\Are these a special kind of stone I have to buy?

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 07:16:04 »
Betula,
         If you don't have access to a grinder what you need is a Carborundum stone and the best place to get one is at a local car boot it should cost you a couple of quid, if you see someone selling old tools then more than likely he will have a selection of Corborundum's the one you are looking for is about ten inches long and like a straight banana (excuse the pun), you will find on Google about how to use one :).

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 10:50:51 »
I suppose everyone has their own way, but I would not advise you to use a grind-wheel unless you know what you're doing. Even an expert would only use a grind wheel on shears as a last resort. A grind wheel will heat up and spoil the metal unless you use a wet-wheel at low rev's. It's also very difficult to see the part of the blade you are working on.
 An angle grinder is totally the wrong tool for this job and darn right dangerous. Please don't go there.
 As for taking your shears apart, not necessary if you use a hand-held sharpening stone. The 'banana' type is again, the wrong article. That's fine for things like a sickle with a curved double edge like a knife but is the wrong shape for following the variation in the bevel width. Look close at your shears and you'll see what I mean about that bevel width. It's important to retain that.
 Shears have to be sharpened following very accurately that bevel. It's only on one side. Remove metal from the flat inner edges and you may as well through them in the bin.
 Having said all that, sharpening shears isn't difficult. But it does take a little time to get it right. If you're shears a quality pair, then it's certainly worth the effort.
 I can have a go at pic's if you wish which might clarify things a bit better.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 11:13:52 »
Thanks Ken,the pictures will be very useful :D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 11:23:04 »
Just found this for you to have a look at. It mentions a file as against a stone but the procedure is the same and the pic's make it easier to follow.

http://www.rd.com/18295/article.html

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 13:22:34 »
thanks for that Ken....and now.. a good edge on hoes and spades?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 15:40:10 »
Use 'em!

If you have abused ones or car-boot tools that need revitalising.....nothing more than a few strokes with a decent file will bring the edge back. ..and wrap 'em in an oily rag to over-winter.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 15:42:46 by kenkew »

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 16:46:33 »
I know what I'm doing with a gring stone after working in British engineering

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 18:09:58 »
Me too after a life-time in Engineering, Mr Smith, but I'm not too sure about Betula!... :-\

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 19:13:40 »
Ken,
      And my Mum could sharpen any blade on the front step of our gaff in the back streets of east lancashire back in the 50's, but then again having a time served lad coming out of FYT what more do you want :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 19:24:56 »
Did the same in Yorkshire, too. (Not too far from East Lancs, either).
My ma used to do the same....actually, even at age 86 she still does! Nowt like a door step rub before carving the joint, eh, Mr Smith?
 (What's a joint I hear some shout... :o )
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 19:27:32 by kenkew »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 19:27:51 »
Not had a concrete doorstep for years :D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 19:35:36 »
Concrete?.........  Ah!....!!

Talking Mill stone, granite and sand-stone here, B. With white stoned edging, no less. Every Monday after the wash went out all the wives competetd for the best step in the street. No kidding....just ask Mr Smith from East Lancs.
 (Any way...what are you doing here? You're supposed to be honing your shears!.... :D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 19:36:35 »
yes, my mum did the same, white the step then clean the tiles in the hall with some red stuff  ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 19:41:18 »
Cardinal Polish, Manic's.. and don't forget Zebrite blacking on the fire grates before you set off for school every Monday morning ...Boom, boom!

(Is this called 'Going off Topic?'....and where's a ****** site moderator when you need one?)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 19:42:51 by kenkew »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal