Author Topic: Womens Land Army Medal  (Read 2222 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Womens Land Army Medal
« on: February 21, 2008, 17:46:29 »
I am just filling out the form for an 88 year old friend and thought others out there might like a medal of recognition too!

It is a new government scheme acknowledging the tremendous efforts of the Women's Land Army and Women's Timber Corps during WW1 & WW2, they are presenting the surviving members with a specially designed badge commemorating their service and acknowledging the debt that the country owes to them.

You can find the info and download the form here:-

www.defra.gov.uk/farm/working/wla/index.htm

Hope this helps someone, my friend is very excited at the prospect! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Womens Land Army Medal
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 18:12:07 »
DottyP!!! Hey, not before time, eh?  I'm really excited for a friend of mine. Tell me, will my friend have been notified of this - or am I going to give her One Hellova Nice Surprise on Monday when I meet her for lunch & present her with the downloaded form?

Thanks so much for the info & posting the link... 8) ;D ;D ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 18:33:28 »
Like with the Air Transport Auxilliary, they waited until most were dead??

ABT?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 21:07:29 »
And the Malay JASA medal due to be presented by the Malasian Government to all service personel serving in Malaya, Borneo up to 1964.
 The British government doesn't allow medals to be worn that are issued by other countries....(and yet they allow the wearing of the medal issued by Kuwait during GW1.) So the JASA medal, while it can be obtained elsewhere, won't at present get the UK OK.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 21:50:34 »
Dotty! I've spoken with my friend...she's over the moon too! - I've promised her a party when she gets it 8) Snag is.......the man she phoned and spoke to said that they'd had 000's of applications - so the medal may be "some time in coming"...............duh! 60+ years, I'd say :-\, or, as Tim wrote...ABT ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 22:39:43 »
One of my sisters (81 this year) was in the Land Army. Must ask her if she has applied for her medal.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 12:37:21 »
Lish, if you read the website, I don't think they have even made any yet!! :o  Maybe they are waiting to see how many apply!

A party is a great idea, might nick it and do the same.........we could serve wartime food and all wear green jumpers and khaki knickerbockers! ;D

It is a shame they have left it too late, I just hope lots apply and get what they should have had years ago.

Dotty P
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 13:01:43 »
......dunno if my friend's friends billeted in the same hostel bothered to even wear knicke........?! by the anecdotes she was telling me last night ::)

For my friend, tho,  being a Land Girl were the Best Years of her Life..She just loved all the work....she carried on tho when the war was officially over, cos there was, at first,  a dearth of men coming back from the war...but then, when she was given the push :( she got more work in one of the parks here....more men, another push >:(....so then had to work in a factory for the rest of her life :'(

Equal Opportunities & the Good Old Days, eh?

Yep! She's going to have her party, no mistake 8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal