Author Topic: Teaching my grandmother?  (Read 1494 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Teaching my grandmother?
« on: July 13, 2004, 11:03:47 »
Can't be many of those around!!

But, for the younger ones - remember that you don't have to peel Anya or Pink Fir before cooking. Or scrub. If boiling, just scuffle them around in lots of water to get the worst off. The rest will boil off in the water, & you'll keep that lovely earthy flavour. If you really want to  peel, for a salad etc, do it - easily - after cooking. For baking or roasting, I'd be a little more thorough.
These have been in the ground a month, since we cut the blighted tops off. Hence small size. = Tim

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Teaching my grandmother?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 11:23:00 »
I'm looking forward to my Anyas. I shall do that. I never peel new pots. When I was a kid, I hated the skins, but now I cook my own I love the skins (far too lazy to peel!)

My grandmother (who is also a great grandmother thanks to one of my cousins) is going to be 90 next year and still thoroughly works her garden! (Although I think she's stopped growing spuds!)
gone to pot :D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 16:41:26 »
We are really enjoying the Anya's, clean them the same as you Tim. (sometimes they get the nailbrush treatment, if they are being roasted!) think they have the best flavour of our potatoes so far, and remarkably slug free!! Yield has been good too,we will be sad to see them go :'( a MUST for next year ;D  (PS: Daughters friend over for dinner last night, gave her the potatoes, her name? Ania!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 17:07:31 »
Just have to add this -
Danced all evening with Anya at the Doma Cultura in Murmansk in 1941 - till her husband emerged from behind a pillar & led her away!!  No argument - both were wearing 38s on their hips. What a war! = Tim

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 17:11:11 »
Hehehehe  what a memory!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal