Author Topic: The best way to say Goodbye.....  (Read 2547 times)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
The best way to say Goodbye.....
« on: July 12, 2004, 17:05:38 »
This morning the vet came.

My best friend's senior dog was in his fifteenth year, as wonderful an old gentleman as you could find, but it upset him to have 'accidents' and his back legs weren't what they used to be. He'd get confused, and he could not longer do all the things dogs love doing. My friend made the decision last week.

So my dog and I went to be with them, and the junior dog, and the cat. They're family.

Senior dog had been out for a stroll in the orchard, and he looked so shiny as he'd had a groom. We sat and chatted, and senior dog dreamed and slept, with his friends around him.

The vet had known him all his life. I took the two dogs into the sitting room, where we all sat on the floor together in a hug. The cat stayed, sitting on the bed where they all slept together. My friend held her dear dog as he drifted into his final sleep.

His friends could see he was at peace now, and they knew. After he'd gone, they didn't want treats, they just wanted to be quiet and remember him, and they knew we needed them too.

Now I've had a little weep, but it was so peaceful, natural and dignified.

Sweet dreams our old friend, thank you for being you and for giving us so much.

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:The best way to say Goodbye.....
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 17:25:10 »
What a lovely end to a dignified old gentleman's life CL. So glad you were all with him as he went to his final rest.

There are a couple of poems on the Beebs 'Passionate about pets' site that you might like to read. They brought a lump to my throat they were soooo lovely. Maybe you're friend would like to see them too. It may help her in her time of sadness.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 23:25:43 »
Choked!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 23:26:41 »
CL, you wrote that beautifully and I am sitting here with tears in my eyes.  When mums dog drifted off earlier in the year, she did so in my arms after spending a wonderful day with all of the kids and family.  A happy full life and a peaceful way to drift.

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 10:13:37 »
I can hardly speak.

My other cats miss my beloved Bertie and will not leave my side. If I sit down, they are there on my lap, if I go in the garden they are beside me, when I go to work they sleep until I get home.
They know what happened and are just as sad as me.

It is so painful saying goodbye to our beloved friends - my thoughts are with you CL and your best friend.
Granny is still your best friend !

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 17:50:11 »
Oh CL you have written about something painful so beautifully. I'm crying now.
Love and hugs, to you and yours, Plocket x
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 23:55:20 »
Thank you so much friends...it is a really weird feeling ,the dogs are looking after us, but it is so strange for these creatures of habit, and their moves bring it home to us. I can't say much more right now, thanks, CLxxxx

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 12:28:54 »
Tears have filled my eyes at your words CL.  What a very moving passing and you relayed it so beautifully. If you have to go what a wonderful way to do it.  If I had the choice wouldn't mind going that way myself.   :( busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 15:47:32 »
How did I miss this post?

But I really shouldn't read these when I'm at work.  :'(

So beautiful and so sad.
gone to pot :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal