Author Topic: Carrots  (Read 1278 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
Carrots
« on: February 29, 2008, 23:06:49 »
All my carrot packs say plant in march, would it be now or wait till the end of march, and I am going to sow them in paper pots can I put them in my coldgreenhouse before i plant them out

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Carrots
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 00:25:45 »
Depends where you live in the country. Here in Teeside, I usually add on an extra 2-4 weeks for outdoor planting. Under glass should be fine. I have usually had abysmal times with carrots sown direct in the ground. Zero to be precise.

Last year I sowed earlies in containers and they were half decent. Small but still edible. My winter carrots had huge 8-10 inch lush green leafy stems - but no carrot? Possibly planted too many in the containers. This year I intend to use the container method.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 14:34:19 »
caseylee i have sown some of my early nantes they can be sown from february ill gladly send you some if you like?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 18:25:16 »
I planted some in a raised bed with an old window glass on them at Christmas they were slow to come up but I now have three strongly growing rows of seedlings.
 ;D

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 18:34:25 »
I have bought rainbow carrots, purple carrots, round carrots are those classed as early nates not too sure, and could i plant them now in a cold greenhouse

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 18:43:43 »
I got an old delapitated trolley from work, I intend using for carrots. Got hubby to take the other wheels off it, the reason it had been thrown out was a wheel was missing, (my gain!) Thing is, its a bit deep, Probably about 90 cm.  Anyone got suggestions as to what I could put in the bottom so it doesn't  take up too much soil? I was thinking about some polystyrene boxes? would this be filling my soil with chemicals?
I understood from a lady that used to run the village veg shop, she grewsome of her own stuff to sell. That carrots were a bit fussy on soil, and liked a sandy mixture? for this reason I thought about the trolley box, so I could make them a nice mix. I have sown carrots twice in the past, 1st time was good, although I couldn't wait for them to get big and ate them all as babies! My second sowing was 0..... lol

Sand xx

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 18:44:25 »
In a cold greenhouse you could plant any carrots now... personally I would prepare a bit of soil and cover with fleece for a week or two then plant. Our soil caps easily which stops the carrots coming up... the fleece helps keep it moist.
 :-\

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 18:45:41 »
Jesssands...Why not grow parsnips or get a long carrot like Scarlet Intermediate or St Valery for your deep box...?

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 18:52:39 »
Ive got large propgrater tops can I put them on top of the carrots would that be alright, or come clingfilm

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 19:00:32 »
Saddad!

I have got some seed already, I have parsnip in the airing cupboard on damp kit roll, just starting to sprout too! unwins white gem

Also the carrots I bought are Autumn King 2, these are unwins.

Who do you think would benefit most from the deep trolley?

Thanx x x x x x

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 19:06:31 »
The propagator tops should be fine but use a thin layer of compost or sand on top of the seeds Caseylee..
The Autumn King would get to about a foot... the parsnips would get longer.. Jesssands so I'd do parsnips in one and cut one down to about 15" to use less compost...
 ;D

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 19:13:57 »
Only have One trolley saddad? what do you reckon?

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 19:16:22 »
Parsnips if you really like them... carrots are easier to grow in other things and the ground. Nothing like a fresh carrot though!!  :-X

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 19:20:52 »
I have bought all different colours for my sons, just looking for yellow ones now, I am trying to get them to eat fresh veg, and they love carrots hence why I want to plant them so badley

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 19:27:26 »
Thanks Saddad....... I love parsnips!
how long do you think they might get?
Will my carrots need the sandy mix if planting just in my veg patch?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal