Author Topic: Gherkins  (Read 7551 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
Gherkins
« on: February 17, 2008, 19:10:26 »
are the gherkins very easy to grow, and are the plants smaller than the actul cucumbers

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Gherkins
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 19:18:55 »
easier outside than proper cucs but still not easy in normal terrms.. the plants vary by variety but will climb happily
 ;D

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 19:25:10 »
are they better for me to grow outside or in a cold greenhouse

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 19:50:29 »
A cold greenhouse would be ideal... but you might want the space for even "softer" stuff like Aubergines and Peppers...
 :)
a cold frame would be enough to get them going and they could climb out in the better months..

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 23:51:08 »
I got some Lidl gherkin seed last year. They grew outside no problem, even with the rubbish summer we had. Had the weather not been so wet there would have been a bumper harvest.

As it was I got loads for pickling and we ate loads as cucumbers too. I will do more this year
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 00:32:21 »
I grow my pickling cukes outside always, I use the ones called Cool Breeze as they are so fast to grow. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:18:21 »
I grow my pickling cukes outside always, I use the ones called Cool Breeze as they are so fast to grow. XX Jeannine
I grew Cool Breeze for the first time last year. So productive. It sets fruit without pollination which might be very important where the bee population is destroyed like our area.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

star

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 19:18:46 »
WHAT!!!! :o :o

Have you lost your bees? Oh dear, I hope not all of them, we need them SO much.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 20:01:05 »
i have never grown any gherkins either, i have some franchi gherkin seed which i plan to plant" Beth" Alpha is the variety, trouble is the instuctions are all in foriegn so any help much appreciated!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

star

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 23:30:35 »
I would just read a seed packet in a shop and follow those directions, they should have the same requirements, or google for growing your particular variety.

Good luck ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 00:12:34 »
WHAT!!!! :o :o

Have you lost your bees? Oh dear, I hope not all of them, we need them SO much.
We didn't see one honeybee all summer, just bumblebees and the usual wasps etc. However the garden produced well anyway so the population of insects must have taken care of pollination.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Phil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 11:28:06 »
i have never grown any gherkins either, i have some franchi gherkin seed which i plan to plant" Beth" Alpha is the variety, trouble is the instuctions are all in foriegn so any help much appreciated!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I can speak foreign!  Just post the Italian instructions on here and I will translate them for you!   ;)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 12:02:25 »
I'm growing Bimbostar from  Marshalls this year. :)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 17:34:18 »
May I ask something here? Are gherkins edible/palatable fresh or do they need to be pickled?

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 19:03:34 »
anyone got any good pickling solutions they use for gherkins and onions please.

star

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 21:29:10 »
Tora.....we ate gherkins last year as cucumbers, they were lovely, just small cukes really.

Caseylee.......I used ordinary malt vinegar (half vinegar and half water, bay leaf, coriander, all spice, freshly ground black pepper and a little sugar. I made the mistake of putting 2 home grown chillis in as well......which rendered the lot being inedible.

WITHOUT as much chilli, sterilize jars, boil up the brew, slice gherkins into jars, pour cooled brew over, seal. Wait about 3 months for flavours to develop (Taste the pickling vinegar mix before adding to gherkins or onions and adjust according to taste)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 00:40:51 »
Please be aware that you do need to have a certain level of acidity present for pickles to keep well, especially those like gherkins which themselves have high levels of water in them.
Brining the gherkins first brings out the flavour. Brine is made by mixing 50g salt to 500g water and leaving the gherkins in for around 24 hours. Pour off the brine, don't rinse the gherkins.
As a general rule, to achieve the correct level of acidity, take the weight of the gherkins and use at least 1/3 of that weight in good quality vinegar. So for every 300g of gherkins, use at least 100 g of vinegar. Add spices to the vinegar like peppercorns, mustard seed, chilli, ginger, cinnamon. Heat the vinegar with spices in, and pour over the drained gherkins. Seal your jars and wait at least 6 weeks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 10:54:49 »

I have a great nay recipes on pickling cukes but he ones I make  most are Kosha style dill cukes.

They have sprigs on dill in the bottom of the jar and 2 cloves of garlic,  using only white vinegar.

I will publish a full recipe if anyone wants it.

The best tips I can give you , and this makes such a difference, have all your stuff ready, pick your cukes, wash don't scrub and IMMEDIATLY submerge in ICE COLD water,drop ice in if you have it this freezing temp helps  crisp the cukes,  do not pick them and save them till the next day!!I add a few grape vine leaves to the soaking pot which helps with crispness too. The  other thing is to slice off a thin slice. perhaps 1/4 inch max from the blossom end..this is where the concentration of enzymes that cause bitterness are,.

Let me know if you need full details and I will get back.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 10:56:29 »
could you please give the recipe, i am dying to make my own pickled gherkins I could eat two jars by myself lol

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 13:22:19 »
Tora.....we ate gherkins last year as cucumbers, they were lovely, just small cukes really.

Thanks, star! I'm going to sow them soon...  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal