Author Topic: Rats and rat bait  (Read 2476 times)

springs

• Half Acre
Rats and rat bait
« on: July 15, 2008, 20:51:43 »
W have a problem with two of are members, they insist that we on the committee have by law to purchase rat poison. We have 80 members on the plots so think of expense Last time they complained is was because we caught them firing 12bore shotguns on the site. We got in touch with land agent, The reply was no gun aloud on site. Now they say by law if we don't purchase rat bait as they rent the plots they can bring guns and kill vermin. Any one  no of this law, they say it was 1953 government act.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Rats and rat bait
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 22:55:48 »
I don't believe a word of it. Next time you see a shotgun, call the police. I would. I'm surprised they weren't evicted after the first offence.

Moonbeam65

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 21:35:21 »
Never heard about this law but they cannot or should not discharge a shotgun on any site.
If they are that concerned about rats etc they should invest in a couple of ferrets who will get rid of the rats.Or better still tell them to buy there own rat poison.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 22:29:57 »
They are talking rubbish. There is a list of government acts passed in 1953 here none of which relate to allotments or pest control.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/uk-acts-1953a

If they tell you which government act they are reffering to you can look it up on the opsi site to find out if their information is accurate & wether the law is still in effect or if it has been repealed.
If they bring a gun on to the site again then call the police and let them deal with it.
If they want to kill rats then mk4 fen traps (preferably used with safety tunnels) would be more effective than a shotgun anyway. They are easily available, the cheapest supplier would probably be http://www.molemann.co.uk/item.do?item=54

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 22:49:04 »
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

springs

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:10:47 »

Thank you all for your advice appreciated. Let you know how we get on. Very pleased with the information , so glad i joined your web site

Phil

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal