Author Topic: Straining Bag.  (Read 3677 times)

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Straining Bag.
« on: July 12, 2004, 16:51:46 »
Can't find your straining bag to make your jam into jelly?.If you have a 3 tier vegetable rack the metal mesh type.Put a piece of net in the top one large container underneath and hey presto!Did this after spending two hours searching every drawer in the house.Well i got tidy drawers but still cant find it and its the wine to strain next job.Hey Ho.Now i know that i put it somewhere that i knew i could lay my hands straight on it next time i needed it.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Straining Bag.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 17:02:29 »
I wasn't quite imagining something to do with jam making when I read the title of this thread.  ;D :o

(long day!)
gone to pot :D

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 12:18:14 »
Aqui - you really make me laugh you're so funny.  Slightly sick, but funny.

BB - I haven't grown fruit yet, but isn't there something that metal does to fruit to make it taste odd - or did I make that up

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 17:53:07 »
Yes that rings a bell with me .The fruit didn't come into contact with the metal though.It was a case of make do i'm afraid i still haven't come across the ----ed thing.None in Boots and sold out in Wilkos.But the Redcurrant Jelly was beatuful.
I always use a wooden spoon to cook with think thats to do with the metal thing as well but it's cooked in a metal JamPan isn't it?

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 19:42:07 »
BB. while I was "between bags" I ended up using tights stretched and suspended from the handles of wallcupboards!  sounds ridiculous but it worked short term.  current bag came from John Lewis but I don't hang it ouside to dry as it now looks like a very soiled pair of pants!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 20:03:07 »
Yes Wicker that was my next course of action.Have used them before now.Still doesn't solve my dilemma..............i know i put it where i would know where it was when i needed it. :( :( :(

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 11:27:46 »
You can also use a CLEAN tea towel suspended between the legs of an upside-down chair/stool.

John Lewis usually sell the muslin bags for straining, have you tried there?

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 13:20:10 »
The metal to avoid is aluminium, therefore use stainless steel or enamelled pans.
The acid in the fruit attacks the aluminium and turns the pan (and contents) black, and also can give an unpleasant taste.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 21:07:34 »
Thanks Derek thats that solved i knew there was something.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 00:09:23 »
Haven't seen a jelly bag in years (nearest branch of John Lewis - 40 miles away in Sheffield!) - I've been using a pillowslip hung from a broom handle laid on the top of a pair of open cupboard doors!  

My tights - naaaaaah, let's not go there :) :) :)

All best - Gavin

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 05:44:56 »
I always thought you should use a thick based copper saucepan for jam, or I am having the wrong flashback to home econmics at school?

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 09:06:51 »
Mine doesn't have a copper bottom Nick.It's served me well over the last umpteen years .Like your idea Gavin.Amazing how inventive we can be when needs must i'll bear all your ideas in mind.Any Home-Brew shops do the Straining Bags but they are few and far between these days.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 11:54:14 »
I got some from Boot's Chemist for wine making. Quite a bit back now, but I think they still do their home-brew stuff.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal