Author Topic: A lot of brick wall!  (Read 997 times)

helsbels_89

• Not So New ...
A lot of brick wall!
« on: February 16, 2008, 16:30:14 »
Hi

I am a newbie today and am looking for ideas for my garden. It is a new house with just a lawn, no beds as yet. I am getting into growing veg but i have a 20 ft wall which i just don't know what to do with. The wall in my garden is the back of a row of garages so is also about 12 ft high. When the delightful builders did the garden they simply chucked in all bricks and stones when they filled it in. I have had a go at digging it but it is horrendous.

Any ideas of what edibles i could grow up the wall to take up some of the space and ideas on what i could grow stuff in without having to dig? I have pots but the ground is slopeing so still have to dig them in!!

Thanks

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
Re: A lot of brick wall!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 17:00:25 »
Most importantly, which way does it face?  If it catches a lot of sun, I'm already thinking about climbing beans, tomatoes, cucmbers, a fig tree, grape vines - maybe even peaches or nectarines.

If it's noth facing you may struggle.

Containers or grow bags may get you started, and let you clear out small bits at a time over a few years.  Once you've cleared out the top foot, I'd just let the roots do the rest.

helsbels_89

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 19:59:41 »
We have a south facing garden and during the summer months has sun  most of the day.

The wall actually faces East, so should get morning sun.

Thanks for your suggestions, i just want something to fill the blank space.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 17:43:18 »
East is not a good direction... that early sun actually does the damage following the frost...
 :(

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 18:06:53 »
Maybe, but edibles would be planted later so frost shouldn't be a problem. Personally, I'd persevere with removing as much rubble as possible. Certainly better in the long run.
 I have the same garage wall syndrome just 15 metres away at the bottom of my garden. I have dedicated it to Piracanthus and ivy to hide the monster. It attracts many birds and I've 'hidden' 7 nest boxes in among.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal