Author Topic: TOOLS ETC  (Read 2219 times)

margyf

• Not So New ...
TOOLS ETC
« on: February 11, 2008, 14:10:38 »
Hi

I am new to the allotment world and must say I wish I had taken up a plot sooner.

I was keen to find out where one can purchase the best garden tools, Shed and gloves and seeds etc.

I have been on  various sites but its confusing to  know which one to go for so many choices.

I am not looking to spend too much so value for money.

I have tried freecycle and various other free exchange sites but with no luck.

So any help ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you

foresterone

• Quarter Acre
Re: TOOLS ETC
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 14:25:43 »
It pays to buy the best fork, spade ,etc you can afford (as I have discovered over the years). I have recently replaced the essentials after obtaining my allotment last year and won`t leave them there just in case someone else decides to help themselves. Not fellow gardeners but the local" tea leaves" !

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 14:40:35 »
Wilkos are worth a look for relatively cheap good quality stuff. 
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 14:52:01 »
Definitely Wilko's and Instore if you have one near you (might find it's a PoundStretcher).  Failing that you could try Ebay for the smaller bits and pieces.
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 19:53:52 »
My local carboot sale has always come up trumps for me, I paid £3-£4 for spades and forks and approx £2.50-£3.50 for hoes, rake, shears etc. Thay were all good tools with LOTS of useful life left in them.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

Teena

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 20:06:40 »
hi there
i agree that Wilkos stuff is quite good but the best spade and fork we bought was from Kwiksave, who are now owned by somerfields, but wether they still do them i dont know.
cheers teena

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 22:04:19 »
Don't forget the all important gloves.

Those cheap randomly coloured builder's gloves are good for digging.

I've got a Notcutt's fork and spade, anybody knows who makes them?

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 22:07:44 »
I probably spent more on gloves than I did on tools - bought a pair of leather ones and they've been fab, sturdy enough for digging, but still leaves my hands nimble enough to pick up delicate plants etc - no good with thorny gooseberry bushes though!
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 00:36:40 »
Wilko def is the best place for tools, good prices and excellant value for money.  They also have things like water butts, and the little things needed to run the allotment.

margyf

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 16:02:12 »
Thank you all so much.

Im just online looking at the various sites.

:D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 16:28:30 »
Woolies sometimes has quite good gloves, the ones with the plastic coating over the fingers and palms which are about £2 similar to the ones you can get in garden centres for £6. At the allotment they wear out quite quickly and the expensive ones don't last any longer than the cheap ones.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 16:36:13 »
Wilkos and Woolworths are great for when you are 1st starting out and are having to buy so many tools and bits and bobs.We started of with the cheap tools and then slowly replaced them with better longer lasting ones. Also doing this means that when the diy stores sell off  tools at the end of the season you can pick them up then and they are alot cheaper.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

margyf

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 13:56:07 »
Thats great.

When is the best time to go to diy and garden stores for end of season??

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 13:59:15 »
when your looking for a shovel make sure that your foot covered the width of the shovel so when you press down with your foot you dont get the edge of the shovel going into your foot.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 20:48:22 »
Take a look at all the sites, familiarise yourself with the prices and pick yourself a wish list, then go looking for those items,compare prices in different shops, some online places are cheaper and over a certain amount they send post free. B&Q always 10% off on Wednesdays if you have  a senior in your family with a card, and that is on top of sale prices.Certainly look in car boots, they will get you going and you can find some good stuff. Check locally to see if you have a farmers sale, they often have tools . DONT be afraid to put an ad on Freecycle that you are looking for tools, folks will happily contact you if they have stuff to dispose of. Lastly pick your hoe carefully, I had loads over the years until I posted here about a good hoe. We settled and it is fantastic on the Wolf push pull. If you tap Wolf hoe on this search I think the chat will come up.

Good luck XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 03:57:52 »
A 'mattock' is essential for breaking up neglected and difficult ground
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 08:40:00 »
Try and get stainless steel for your fork and spade they make so much difference as a lot less of the soil sticks to the blade/fork when the ground is wet.

Also spend a few minutes at the of the day to clean them off, with you back aching, getting dark and breaking your neck for a wee ;)  not the most attractive job in the world but when you've spent a lot on them.....

I got a fork spade and hoe (spear and jacksons) all stainless steel from in-excess a bankrupt small chain of stores, £7 for the fork £5 for the spade £3.50 for the hoe bargain of the year really wished I'd picked up more at the time

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal