Author Topic: tomato leaves  (Read 1646 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
tomato leaves
« on: July 12, 2004, 12:57:10 »
Mt greenhouse is like a tropcial rain forrest and I can only just make it through the door past the trifid like tomato leaves.  Is it okay to hack lots of them back?  I do from time to time, but then worry that this is how the plants breathes!  :o

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
Re:tomato leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 13:19:23 »
I got told once that you should take off most of the leaves once the fruit has set. Did that last year, and it didn't seem to hurt them. Go for it! ;)
Nothing rhymes with orange...
http://downamongtheflowers.blogspot.com/

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 13:40:18 »
Tomatoes are caulescent, one word that covers their natural habit of shedding early leaves as new ones are produced. The plant naturally closes down these older leaves, which takes energy from new growth and ripening fruit, so if you take the lower leaves off (snap them at the abcission layer) you are helping the plants. Assuming the plants aren't etiolated, only the leaves within the first four feet of the growing point are actively contributing to the plant while any others will be in energy equilibrium or taking food from the plant.
  Taking off the leaves in a greenhouse is also beneficial as it will increase air movement and help reduce fungal diseases.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 13:41:58 »
Steady on, girls! Take off the bottom 3 or 4, which have done their job - & cut out any that are shading the fruit. But the plant needs photosynthesis to do its thing. Or so I reckon. = Tim

PS Should have added that "toms like to shade their fruit from direct sunshine"!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 16:35:11 by tim »

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 20:23:30 »
Where's my old machete?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal