Author Topic: Changing ISP  (Read 1894 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Changing ISP
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:23:26 »
 ???

I have heard lots of horror stories so I have stuck with the same one for 3 years or so. Having looked at some deals, I am very tempted to swap.

Here is the dumb question.

The new supplier sends you the disc/modem whatever and you plug it all in. Stop using the old supplier and start using the new one.  Why might it not be as simple as it seems?

::)

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
Re: Changing ISP
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:51:20 »
That's as simple as it should be. Make sure you get a MAC code from your current supplier and give it to the new one - this will make the internet downtime less. Otherwise you might be a couple of weeks without net as i found out before.

i switched from tiscali to sky and it would have been really simple but there was a BT problem during the transfer.

Otherwise it would just be a case of putting in cd and follow instructions, put in any username or WEP/PKA if they give you one - so many are made simple now.

you might not even need to change router - just change the connection name from your pc and when it tried to connect you can put in a password f they gave you one or make one up if not. (Important for me as i am wireless - may not be so if you are using wires with no woreless router/modem).

Definitely worth shopping around now though as some suppiers are getting really cheap.
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 20:01:34 »
Thanks lots, will investigate further!

8)

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 07:23:30 »
I just changed from Orange to TalkTalk and it was just as easy as you say. TalkTalk even contacted Orange for me to get my MAC code. Then, on the activation date I came home from work, unplugged the old Orange wireless router and followed the instructions in the new TalkTalk one and was up and running in less than half and hour with no problems at all.

If only the rest of life was so simple... :)
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 07:24:32 »
That's as simple as it should be. Make sure you get a MAC code from your current supplier and give it to the new one - this will make the internet downtime less. Otherwise you might be a couple of weeks without net as i found out before.

i switched from tiscali to sky and it would have been really simple but there was a BT problem during the transfer.

Otherwise it would just be a case of putting in cd and follow instructions, put in any username or WEP/PKA if they give you one - so many are made simple now.

you might not even need to change router - just change the connection name from your pc and when it tried to connect you can put in a password f they gave you one or make one up if not. (Important for me as i am wireless - may not be so if you are using wires with no woreless router/modem).

Definitely worth shopping around now though as some suppiers are getting really cheap.

Not even a cd needed in my case - I switched from Tiscali to Sky last month.

Sky informed me of the switchover date (after I gave them a MAC code from Tiscali) and on that day the router that I was using just wouldn't work (cos it was using the Tiscali login). Simply plugging in the Sky router got me straight back up, although the pcs needed a reboot afterwards (to get ip addresses from the new router).

And to top it all, the measly 512k connection that Tiscali insisted they couldn't improve on (due to distance from telephone exchange) turned into 1.5Mb/s - 3 times as fast!

Oh, and it's cheaper. So one happy bunny here.... ;D.......although not everyone will have such a pain free experience.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal