Author Topic: Apple tree pruning....again...sorry  (Read 1567 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Apple tree pruning....again...sorry
« on: July 12, 2004, 12:55:35 »
Pruning and me don't always mix.  I am a cut back if it is in the way or diseased kinda girl, and then leave them pretty much alone.  On the allotment we have 2 apple trees, and I have another one in the garden.  They are all covered in apples, but not as many this year as last.  Should I be pruning about now, and if yes, how - in really really simple terms please - and I don't mean with a pair of lopers, I mean where on a branch.  I know I am supposed to be producing fruiting spurs  ???.  Tis all greek to me! :-\

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:Apple tree pruning....again...sorry
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 13:47:00 »
Only if they're spur bearers, some are tip bearers, and some are both  ???

Jeremy

Who's even more confused.

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 16:20:27 »
Hi EJ

Google Apple tree pruning.  I should be able to tell you myself, being in Kent.  However, know there is summer pruning and autumn pruning and all I know is make a bowl of the tree for maximum light.  About the third or fourth listing is the good one.  Best of luck!
Muddy Boots

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 16:50:38 »
Hi EJ - this is something that become easier with experience I'm sure.  Strangely, once looking at the tree in the winter your laterals, sub-laterals and fruiting spurs seem quite obvious - not so easy in the summer.

I found the RHS site useful - here is the link and another, also informative.  They may help.
AC x
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0700/summer_pruning.asp
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag29.html
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 16:52:43 by allotment_chick »
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal