Author Topic: Constantly Yapping 'dog'.  (Read 3059 times)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Constantly Yapping 'dog'.
« on: February 12, 2008, 14:07:24 »
Somebody down the end of our street has an extremely yappy dog.
They keep it in their driveway, so that it yaps every time somebody goes past.

God knows why they can't keep it in the back garden out of the way of temptation.

Who do I complain to, to get an ASBO on it (or the owner)?

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Constantly Yapping 'dog'.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 14:23:55 »
Hi dtw (gosh you sound like a weedkiller or was that ddt!!)

I would, and I don't know where you live, call in to people with yappy dog, and very gently ask them if they wouldn't mind ensuring that it is kept quieter! It disturbs you at night or whatever.  If you can bear it (I am a dog lover with 2 big dogs!) say what a lovely dog it is and use a bit of flannel!

sometimes people don't realise that they are creating a nuisance (though sometimes they do and do it on purpose to get at their close neighbours??!!)

Failing this I would call the local council and ask the Dog Warden service if there is anything they can do!

It would drive me completely scatty having that in close proximity!  My dogs do bark when necessary but they are only in the house and never cause a nuisance!

Old Bird

;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 14:54:17 »
I just cannot understand peple. I have a yappy King Charles (my back garden is open view to the road, not allowed to put fence up) but  I guarantee she is not allowed more than a few barks!!   A prison officer lives opposite and although she assures me Elsa wouldn't wake her when she is on nights I just feel I have to make sure. On Sundays I never start gardening before 10am in case the people who work all week enjoy a lay in on Sundays.
I think Old Bird's suggestions might help.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 14:56:41 by lorna »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 19:33:11 »
we've two people moved in behind us with two yapping little b*ggers, driving everyone to distraction, we've got a staffie, never makes a sound..they never seem to stop them and a neighbour is taping them and filling in forms..really spoils sitting outside  :(

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 19:46:27 »
Oh dear dtw, that sounds like a nightmare.  :(

If the friendly neighbour approach doesn't work contact your local council who will either have a dog warden service that you can call on OR the environmental health dept will have regulations about noise - and dog barking is included in that.  Contact them, explain the problem and they'll probably send someone out to investigate.

Our neighbours have just got a puppy which we can hear whimpering and whining at night.  Thank God their house is on the market, we're hoping they sell it and move before it grows up a bit and learns to bark.  I'm not a dog person incase you didn't notice lol  ;D
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 20:00:40 »
Try the RSPCA.
Our neighbours got a dog for a short while - to see whether it would be a good police dog. It whined and barked a bit when they were out or when it heard us next door. The vets suggested calling the RSPCA as they will help with training. In the end the dog went to another home as it was not going to be suitable as a police dog.

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:29:25 »
Interesting topic, this. My neighbour for several years had a small yappy terrier - not a problem in itself, but she goes to work at 1.30 AM and the yappy sod then used to stand in the garden and bark all night until she came home at lunchtime. This dog died last autumn, and all was peaceful for a while, but last night I was woken up by lots of barking and whining >:( Seems she's bought herself another dog!!

She's a middle-aged woman with a couple of failed relationships behind her & lives on her own, so I guess the dog is for a bit of companionship. I honestly don't have a problem with this (believe it or not, I actually quite like dogs). What I do have a problem with is her working permanant nights and leaving the dog on its own for 10-12 hours every night except weekends - it doesn't seem fair on the dog, and it certainly isn't fair on her neighbours (ie. us!).  But how the hell do I talk to her about this without starting an argument?

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 11:27:38 »
Hi Rob

I am a middle aged woman with two dogs!  I probably don't see a problem with the woman having a dog and working nights.  Normally - my dogs sleep all night so they wouldn't have company during the night anyway - I am obviously in the house but that is as close as we get!

I think that the problem with your neighbour is the fact that she may not realise that her dog is causing a nuisance ie with the whining.  It would drive me crazy too!  I find it a shame that the dog is not settled and probably needs company.

I would pop over to her house when she is in at the weekend - lay on a charm offensive - remark on what a lovely dog it is etc etc. and ask if she would have any suggestions - ie leaving dog with a neighbour for the night so that pooch is not upset and does not disburb her neighbours!

Perhaps she doesn't take her dog out for a run before she goes to work?  Could be an idea to settle the animal?

Good luck with it!  I hope you manage to sort it out for both the dog and yourself!

Old Bird

robkb

• Hectare
  • SE London
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 11:48:51 »
Thanks for the comments Old Bird. Don't get me wrong - I really don't care what hours my neighbour works, I just think it's a shame that her dogs old and new get left alone for hours and obviously (and very loudly) pine for her. And I think if this new dog is treated the same as the old one, the most it'll get in the way of 'walkies' is a runaround in the garden :(

Shame really, because as I say - I do like dogs.

Cheers,
Rob ;)
"Only when the last tree has been cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money." - Cree Indian proverb.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal