Author Topic: Heated Greenhouse  (Read 1909 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
Heated Greenhouse
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:00:36 »
I am looking to grow veg all year long as I have many pets that live off lettuce.  What it the best way to heat my greenhouse.  I have been advised to get a parriffin heater, but also someone mentioned bubble wrap, any ideas would be great
Thank you
Linda

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Heated Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 23:32:28 »
If you grow the right varieties of lettuce.. like Winter Density that are mildew resisitant or other leaves like Endive and Chicory then you won't need heat at all.
 8)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 00:24:05 »
is your greenhouse all glass or does it have brick walls around the bottom?

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 00:40:46 »
it is glass to the floor bolted onto slabs each corner

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 01:41:26 »
Could you not feed your pets other leaves such as swiss chard? These grow outside from strong roots and you can pull leaves off pretty much all the year round without heat. Heating a greenhouse sufficiently to grow salads with success will cost.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 08:14:26 »
the lettuce unfortunately would not be for me myself to eat, We have certain animals that can only eat things like little gems and round lettuce, and to buy it each week costs me well over £15.00.  Some one said that if I get a paraffin heater it would cost £9.00 a week to heat my 6'8 greenhouse, which would save me some money and fresh food for my pets during winter.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 15:51:46 »
Do you actually need to heat the greenhouse though - surely if you have small plants they will grow without heat?

You could start the plants off in the house during the coldest part of the year!

Good luck anyway

Old Bird
 ::)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 15:54:59 »
And you can grow winter salads which will stand the cold :)

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 16:31:32 »
The bubble wrap makes great insulation and will last for several seasons and will greatly reduce the heating costs.It can also act as a shading.I always got alot of condensation from paraffin and it was messy so I switched to electric heating which costs more but is cleaner and easier to control.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal