Author Topic: Chickpeas update  (Read 869 times)

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
Chickpeas update
« on: February 09, 2008, 19:18:31 »
Posted a short bit on my chickpea-growing efforts back in the autumn, and can reveal that after being turfed out on the lottie in December (following a mad hunch) some of my seedlings did quite well: half of them were eaten by the pigeons during the first couple of days, the lucky ones (protected by netting) however are going from strength to strength. They survived both the awful rains and the unusual night frosts during January and this month, too (we're pretty far south here in Wiltshire) and are about 1 foot tall and standing pretty proud. I do hope they'll produce more than 1 pea per pod (as posted by some intrepid growers back in August)!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Chickpeas update
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 19:49:52 »
Let me know if you get enough to make some Houmous...
 ;D

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 12:48:44 »
Yes please let us know if they ripen. I'm most interested in growing other sorts of peas/beans etc so I'd be most interested to hear how it goes.

alienwithaview

• Quarter Acre
  • Lou the cat and young thrush, now happily grown up
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 14:28:42 »
If I get enough to make humous I'll send you some! We are serious addicts.
I reckon if chickpeas are so cheap in the shops / markets they should be fairly easy to grow. We'll see!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 14:41:23 »
I have bought a few types for this year, some black ones, never grown those before.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal