Author Topic: Norton is Crap  (Read 2705 times)

Ozzy aka Pothead

Norton is Crap
« on: July 11, 2004, 19:02:57 »
Yo Peeps (see no emicon?)

I have just had to reload windows and all that jazz from scratch as I had a Virus which NORTON didn't detect... for weeks me puter has been getting slower and slower and last night I got this NT shutdown thang... run Norton.... came back as clean... still a bit paranoid I downloaded AVG and run a scan... and they found the git... So I just sent a stinker of an email to Norton... anyway bottom line is... Norton are slack.... is well mad reloadeing XP it is cus yooze has to do the whole critical update thang tooo... then the recommended updates.... also I was unable to stick me music and videos onto a CD... so have lost loads of stuff... still is learning curve... just cuz its Norton dont mean your safe..blinking blonking Norton,,, SPANKY SPANKY SPANKY mulitplied by 10 zils to Norton Anti Virus...  

rant over.... but message/overtone/undertones of this message is dont just rely on Norton to let you know if you get infected.... ouch

oz

:-* :-* :-*

I gotta sort out a new emicon data base tooooooooooo  :'( :'(

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
Re:Norton is Crap
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 19:11:04 »
Hey Oz,

How about scrolling SLOTCH thread on this puter thread.  Gavin and nother peeps put on what you can do to pertect free!

Might be worth a whirl!
Muddy Boots

Danni.

• Not So New ...
  • Hmm...
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 20:21:04 »
Um, if folks don't already know, it's best not to have more than on esecurity software running at any one time.  Only have one enabled at any one time.  
*xmuffinx*

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 20:31:35 »
I use Norton and havent had any problems at all.I do a virus scan every couple of week and update virus definitions twice a week.Norton retrieves the definitions for me,but i update it myself as well.I've actually had problems with Norton not allowing some e-mails!

If anyone is suspicious of any funny goings on with their pc-go to symantecs website and allow them to do a scan.
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 20:50:54 »
Yo Peeps

The virus Norton FAILED to spot was called

trojan Horse proxy 4.BH

me puter has been doing mental things now for weeks and norton scans/scanned me puter every sat morning..... norton completely missed it... so how do you know you aint got a virus???? if you are only using Norton???????  I now have EZ and AVG and to be honest if I wasn't suspicious type peep then I would not have know untill it was way tooo late... so big it up for AVG which is Freeware.. puters running pretty well nows..... anyone using Norton .. all I can say is ... why not download AVG and let them do a spin on your puter as well.... is like a 2cd opinion if you like.... I've told Norton to sling their hooks.... I have even had a hacker inside me puter whilst on Norton.... crafty git was disabling the firewall on start up then getting in then turning it back on... that was well mad stuff.... he/she/them was doing all sorts to me spreadsheets and one time I thought I was well in the money... but when I checked I seen formulas had been changed.... blinking heartbreakers  ::) and I was still dead poor like... another thing they used to do was control my mouse when I was playing chess or backgammon.... now that was funny trying to move the pieces around.... where am I??? forgot and looks like a babble by crikey it does...

oz

:-* :-* :-*

heres the edit.... just noticed banner add for norton anti virus..... dont buy it... its shyte.. click on link though and earn dan a few coppers like...... or buy it..but dont depend on it... is prob better.... or if you is thinking about buying it..... babble alert
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 20:53:23 by Ozzy aka Pothead »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 20:51:12 »
Strangely enough My Norton allowed the Welcher worm into my pc that slowed it down a tad, I have heard P-cilin or whatever its called is a good one anyone have experience with it they want to share?

The virus was zapped when the Motherboard was changed and the pc reformatted.

BTW is there a spell checker on this board as my xp one won't work for me at the mo.?

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 20:56:08 »
Roy

I had to have a new motherboard too... all this whilst being protected by Norton... makes ya wonder about what they do to earn their money....

also windows XP is well dodgy for security holes etc.. never had any such problems on Win98...

Oz
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 20:56:41 by Ozzy aka Pothead »

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 21:14:50 »
Annoying thing is,a friend didnt update her virus definitions for a while and consequently got one.This virus read ALL the people in her address book and sent out e-mails with virus attachments to these.Fortunately,mine and others kept blocking them,but how many other peeps were not so lucky?

I had W32 Blasterworm last year when i first got this laptop operational.I,foolishly didnt activate the anti-virus software for 20 minutes and it got in.When i put Norton on and did a quick scan-the screen went yellow/red and i swore-a lot...

Im still convinced its the likes of Mc Affies,AVG,Norton etc who keep creating viruses to keep themselves in business.
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2004, 22:03:08 »
Ozzy - I have absolutely no reason to say this, but don't place over-much confidence in AVG either.  

Any anti-virus product/company (or firewall, or anti-spyware, for that matter) is at least one step behind the technically savvy scumbags.

The backups I use (and fortunately, to date, they've found nothing that AVG had missed - but I still say, don't trust it too much!) are
I'm a curmudgeonly old b*st*rd!  But still smiling - touch wood!  :)

All best - Gavin

PS For Bubble - I'll swap your ONE friend --------- for ALL of mine (present company excepted !!! ).  I've given up counting the virus-loaded stuff I get in spammed e-mails. :()

PPS Again for Bubble - be warned, my kids and my ex are part of the bargain???

Yellow Petals

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 09:35:18 »
Ozzy, EZAntivirus is top notch.  It isn't free though - but they do have a free trial version to see how you get along with it.  

http://www.my-etrust.com/

Hope this helps
Sammy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal