Author Topic: Parsnip challenge  (Read 3153 times)

valentinelow

• Quarter Acre
    • 'One Man And His Dig' blog
Parsnip challenge
« on: February 06, 2008, 12:53:45 »
I have never had much success with parsnips (zero the first year, zero the second year, about five last year - our greatest triumph). This year, though, I am really going to get it sorted.
I am going to try germinating them on damp kitchen paper. For growing on, I am going to do the thing of making a hole with a broom handle and filling it with a mixture of sand and compost (we have good old London clay on our allotment).
My question is this: can I just take the newly germinated seeds and put them out on my nice sand/compost mixture? Should I then cover them with a very light sprinkling of more of the same mixture?

PS the seeds are from Real Seeds - someone (here, I think) once said that they had a really good germination rate.

Chrissie

• Half Acre
  • My cutting patch
    • RSPB Shropshire Local Group - Southern branch
Re: Parsnip challenge
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 14:38:12 »
Hi,

I don't know about all this sowing on kitchen paper lark, though it might work - but my secret of success for the past three years (to the annoyance of my otherwise very clever plot-neighbour) has been always sowing the seeds late - last year I notice from my markers I sowed the whole lot in situ on 9th April.

You do need decent workable soil and you DO need to thin, otherwise they corkscrew around each other or grow with square sides! (Stops them rolling off the plate...) Also they say you should always use fresh seed as it doesn't keep.

Good luck!

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 16:16:07 »
Hi,
Last year I germinated mine on kitchen roll before placing the germinated ones into a seed drill, I then covered lightly with multipurpose compost, and had a good crop. I would recommend using a pair of tweezers to pick of the seeds from the paper to plant.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 16:20:56 »
The only way I get parsnips is to chit as above then pot up  in loo roll inards  in a cold gh, then when a good size
out they go.Still eating last years .

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 16:51:34 »
I put my seeds on damp kitchen roll in  a large flat plastic container, pop the lid on and put the  container in the airing cupborad till they pop. Then I immediately plant them into a raised bed of compost and sand ,covering them exactly as I would for dry seeds. It works very well for me.They don't dry out with the lid on. You do have to be prepared to plant them as soon as they sprout though they won't wait long. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 21:35:13 »
Hi,
In line with a lot of plotholders, last year there seemed to be agreement that a lot of seeds from the 'cheaper' suppliers, ie the sheds, were inferior in quality & succumbed to poor germination. From personal experience, I have supported this view for the past three years. I don't buy from these sources anymore. Parsnips/carrots in particular seem to have been prone!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 14:16:12 »
I've had lovely parsnips again this year.  I do as Chrissey does and i don't plant until April (16/4 in 2007).  I make a small drill and fill with compost.  I then water and then sow each seed separately with a radish seed in between to mark the row.  I then lightly cover with compost.  I never need to thin and i have lovely parsnips (though they are sometimes funny shapes).
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 00:40:01 »
Do I need to keep the seeds in the dark if I try 'chitting' them, and can I do it now if I am going to start them off in loo rolls?

Weed-Digga
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 09:10:59 »
mine chit okay within the folded kitchen paper on a warm windowsill,having said that I might put a small 'test' box in a cupboard.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 19:16:43 »
How many days do they take to chit? I think I'll try it this year after dismal results last year.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 17:46:00 »
I can not really remember  but 5or 6 days !

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 19:24:28 »
So if I put them to soak on a sunday, they should be OK to plant the folowing Saturday. that's worth remembering.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 19:49:12 »
I have just had some Guernsey Half Long from HSL so will definitely pre-chit them... as soon as I have made them a raised bed or Black bucket...
 ;D

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 19:54:23 »
So........
If I chit my seeds and then plant them up in loo rolls, how long will it be until they reach the bottom of the tube and need planting out?

Do I fill the loo rolls to the top with compost and how deep in the compost do I plant the chitted seeds?

You can tell I know loads about this growing lark, can't you!! ??? ???
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 10:58:06 »
I've tried pre-chitting but still had patching results.  This year i'm going to try prechitting, then sowing in drills covered with Peat.   I have also bought some seed tape - anyone else tried that???

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 11:45:47 »
I have just had some Guernsey Half Long from HSL so will definitely pre-chit them... as soon as I have made them a raised bed or Black bucket...
 ;D

Is there danger of the black bucket getting too hot in the summer?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 17:25:42 »
I meant Dustbin.... but I take your point, they are pre soakinf/chitting as we speak!
 ;D

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 18:06:29 »
Weed digga
I put the chitted seed about 3mm ish down in loo roll filled  compost
I plant them out when they look ready
right or wrong it seems to work cos we are having curried parsnip soup tonight.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 20:18:47 »
our new parsnip seed, avonresister, put in damp kitchen towel  on 5th feb, is sprouting  ;D

jockomorrocco

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 20:38:18 »
I use an old broken spade (it broke just above the blade and is a good long dibber) make my holes good and deep and wiggle it abit then fill holes with potting compost then sow 3 seeds per station and thin when i can see which is the strongest also its easy to see where they were because the ground is a different colour

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal