Author Topic: Pear Buerre Hardy  (Read 789 times)

DeeBee

• Quarter Acre
Pear Buerre Hardy
« on: February 03, 2008, 10:37:16 »
Couldn't resist the fruit trees in Lidl yesterday, nor the seeds. I've had lots of success with the seeds in the past, I am a huge fan of.  the radish ostergruss (29p versus Suttons £2.25!))

Anyhoo! for some reason I thought what I needed was a pear tree (I think it was the whole £3.99 aspect), so, does anyone know if I can grow it in a pot?
if it needs to grow in the ground where/how?
when is the best time to sink it?
does it need a friend for pollinnation?
when can I expect firstfruit! Impatient I know ;D

Questions, questions!! I have googled but I am getting lost in the conflicting advice. Need some proper expert to straighten me out...so I came here ;)

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Pear Buerre Hardy
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 15:48:56 »
this is a variety that can grow big and pot culture isn't really the best for fruit trees anyway in my opinion, they soon outgrow even the biggest pots - but maybe ok for a few years

there is also mention that they can be slow to give fruit, I bought 2 from Lidl's last year but they seem ok, but you need to be patient with any fruit

it is group B pollination if that helps to select another variety

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 18:35:27 »
Are there any other pear trees nearby.. if they flower at the same time you should be OK
 ;D

DeeBee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 19:41:40 »
Thanks for the advice guys.
Our allotment rules are no trees! BUt going to have chat with the man in charge - there are some growth bags advertised in the YO mag I've been reading from last year. I know the next door plot has three trees but I think they might be apple. Oh well you don't know til yer try ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal