Author Topic: Paphiopedilums slipper orchids  (Read 1120 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Paphiopedilums slipper orchids
« on: February 01, 2008, 14:02:23 »
Paphiopedilum - slipper orchids

Intermediate Growing Types
12 - 28 C (53 - 82F)
Paphiopedilums are known as slipper orchids due to their modified lip which is pouch shaped and does look like a slipper. Some of these species and hybrids have beautifully marbled foliage which is usually evergreen and sets off the blooms a treat, some are so pretty that they are worthy plants just for the foliage and the blooms are an added bonus.
Paphiopedilum philippinense

Slipper orchids come in 2 varieties, those which tolerate intermediate conditions and those which need warm conditions, all have the same requirements other than temperature. The marbled leaved varieties usually will tolerate intermediate conditions and the plain leaved varieties need warmer conditions.

Left: Paphiopedilum philippinense has wonderfully coloured flowers with long twisting petals

Has anyone grown these ? Or bought from this site ?
Do you think they could survive cool night time temperatures eg 8 or 9 degrees ?

http://www.easyorchids.co.uk/site/content/view/21/44/

otto_nowak

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Paphiopedilums slipper orchids
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 21:41:24 »
I've been growing this on my bathroom windowsill for about three years.  Flowered the first two wonderfully but not last year and not much sign of it flowering this year either...  The leaves are nice though!

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 13:44:54 »
What way is your window facing North/South/ etc ?  Mine is east facing and in shade.

otto_nowak

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 16:59:53 »
it must be south-ish i suppose.. it gets a lot of sun but nothing too direct from after midday.. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal