Author Topic: Cruelty to Slugs & Snails  (Read 17271 times)

Spurdie

• Acre
Cruelty to Slugs & Snails
« on: July 10, 2004, 09:51:07 »
Have just been watching the news - apparently there's to be new laws against cruelty to animals. Fair enough. But this includes cruelty to SLUGS AND SNAILS!!! :o
I hope slug pellets and beer traps aren't going to be outlawed! I'd have no garden left!

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:Cruelty to Slugs & Snails
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 12:01:04 »
Gone will be the pleasure of hearing them scream when you pour salt all over their slimy bodies.
And what about squishing vine weevil grubs between ones thumb and forefinger?  Or throwing cutworms to the hens? Or taking the top off the ants nest so the blackbirds and robins can get at the eggs? All definitely cruel and heartless things to do.
AND what about those 'humane' mole traps which kill the same number of moles as the instant death ones?
AND Warferin for rats, surely that is cruel, to give them poor innocent creatures a chemical which causes them to bleed to death from normal internal bleeding?
I could go on. but my heart  is full of man's treatment for our little friends. prrrrrrrrrrrrp!!!!!!!
Gardening is the great leveller.

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 14:54:28 »
I've never knowingly killed a slug or snail.  I don't use bug spray and rodents are deterred from becomig too comfortable in the house by use of a sonic device - it upsets their feeding pattern and they move on.
Saturday is tomato day - they get fed and fondled - and I noticed that my little army of ground-based slug killers was getting bigger.  Lots and lots of little frogs are based in and around the greenhouse and I havent seen a slug for weeks.  As I feed the birds all year, they hang around the garden and bash the bugs for me.  It's a lot cheaper to feed the birds than to buy slug pellets - and my Karma us unharmed.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 21:32:22 »
Hi, FOC!

How do you manage to have frogs in your garden? Do you have a pond?

I have a friendly song thrush that bangs snails against the gate. Does this not qualify as "cruelty to snails" ;)? Sadly it is no match for the HUGE brown snails (about 2" in diameter) that demolish my delphiniums and hollyhocks. How do you keep control of them?

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 21:54:13 »
I used to have a real problem with slugs and snails where they would strip almost everything in the garden.Now that all of the shrubs have matured,the Thrushes and Blackbirds go mad under the them hunting the snails/slugs.I too have frogs in the garden and dont have a pond.They seem to be happy living under the Mexican orange blossoms i have where the soil is permanetly damp.These with the birds have totally decimated the slimy pests population to a point where you would be hard pushed to find one alive!

My slug pellets have remained in the shed,un-used for couple of years now. ;D
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 19:39:35 »
so are they going to be prosecuting animals for be cruel or is it just humans that get the short shrift?  ???
All I can say is they've got to catch me and my salt first. ;D I'd like to see them with their powerful satellites watching me kill slugs from space. :D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 20:37:08 »

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 20:57:39 »
Me thinks this is taking animal welfare too far!

Good god-what next? Campaigners claiming aphids have feelings...
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2004, 21:12:26 »
Saw a hedgehog crushing a huge snail the other day, i'd say that it was about 2" (the snail not the hedgehog). Just stood on the shell and crunch. Quite impressive as I didn't know they had the strength.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2004, 21:24:03 »
Don't panic, peeps - just a moment's thought!

Where would this leave the GM stuff?  And the pesticide manufacturers?  Good God - they might even have to take themselves seriously for once, and ban hunting!  

And what about fishing!!!  Eating meat!!!!!!  Factory farming!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey - and all the various household fly-sprays!!!!!!!!

Methinks (mehopes?), somebody is having a neat little wind-up?

All best - Gavin

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 09:42:02 »
Do you think it would be cruel to leave slugs and snails in a big box with vaseline up the sides for the thrushes to find them?  ;D
gone to pot :D

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 12:20:49 »
NAH!!!!!!! Go to it Aqui.  ;D

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Bionic Wellies

• Acre
  • That many spuds !
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 15:58:51 »
And what about building sites and road building - can't dig a hole with a JCB without pulping a poor defenceless slug can you - Sodding daft politicians.

Even if its not true, its indicitive of the general public's opinion of MP's that we actually believe they are capable of considering such a law!

Suppose we could be incarcerated for slugicide!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 16:00:16 by Bionic Wellies »
Always look on the bright side of life

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 16:59:55 »
Well slap the handcuffs on me...cos today I murdered over 100 large ones (stopped counting at 56!)! with a strange gleeful feeling! This lovely damp weather has bought them all under my carpet paths, but they were not there for long! (Evil laugh!)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 20:56:00 »
I do have a nice big wildlife pond - put in about three years ago.  It's full of reedmace and other big plants (plus my dogs) and I'm delighted with 'my' dragonflies and notice I have a healthy population of pond snails that arrived on their own.  When the pond was being dug, the digger hit the water main and it looked like the Palace of Versailles!  The wagtails then moved in and claimed the mud as theirs! I had frogs and toads before I had the pond but seem to have even more now.  I have bunnies too - hundreds of them.  If something has a hard time surviving here then I don't bother growing it again.  (The bunnies are surviving very well)  

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2004, 11:00:57 »
 ;D Hi Spurdie, just think all the garden police walking around, watching for signs of slugicide, will they have  an inquiry as to how they die, murder, slug slaughter, or natural demise.Hmm does that mean we'll all get a police record? ???
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

TrailRat

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2004, 18:12:11 »
I hope not Val, i'm on already in their bad books for speeding. And I can't even drive or own a car. :-\

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2004, 20:00:00 »
Hi Trailrat
How on earth did you manage to get done for speeding? On you bike???

TrailRat

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2004, 20:02:39 »
I'm afraid so Spurdie and this not a motorbike either.

TrailRat

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2004, 20:14:23 »
Is yours a supercharge penny farthing then?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal