Author Topic: Which type of Strawberry?  (Read 1622 times)

alipally

• Quarter Acre
Which type of Strawberry?
« on: January 27, 2008, 17:18:51 »
I have a choice of Alice, Cambridge Vigour or Red Gauntlet.  Does anyone know anything about these varieties or recommend one please, or should I just go for a mixture? I can't make my mind up!
Thanks
Alison

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: Which type of Strawberry?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 17:31:46 »
Hi Ali,
I personally don't have any experience of any of them. I would advise trying a few of all three, then you can pick your fave and increase your plants next season  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

digger46

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 19:57:38 »
HI  ALI    I BOUGHT   CAMBRIDGE   LAST YEAR   THEY TURNED  OUT  VERY  GOOD   LARGE FRUIT   AND   PLENTY   OF RUNNERS    WELL PLEASED   WITH MINE   IM DOWN    THE SOUTH  EAST KENT.       FROM  DIGGER46     COLIN                                                   

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 21:18:46 »
Alison
A consideration when planting a new bed of Strawbs is the cropping time, we all love fresh strawbs so try to plant as many varieties as possible with the space you have to keep a fresh supply through the Summer. The varieties you mention are pretty old varieties and there are better varieties around now.
Jon

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 16:28:11 »
Ali

I got a special deal with the Daily Mail and I think they were Cambridge.

Last year (their second year) they were completely fan bloody tastic.  Huge strawberries some as big as my hand beautiful - only problem is that they are not all season fruiters so you have a complete deluge of them and then nothing!

I am trying to find a good flavoured all season or an early and late one.  I can put them in the polytunnel so can have some earlier than normal ones - any idea anybody!

Old Bird

::)

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 16:48:22 »
If you have space for 30 crowns then we do a good collection of 10 runners of 3 varieties one early one mid and one late. The collection saves you a couple of pounds too
Jon

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 16:50:40 »
If you have space for 30 crowns then we do a good collection of 10 runners of 3 varieties one early one mid and one late. The collection saves you a couple of pounds too
Jon
Hi Jon, do you have a link please?
Thanks
Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 17:08:57 »
Lauren
It wwww.blackmoor.co.uk
http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php?cPath=335 takes you straight to the Strawberry collection.
Regards
Jon

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 17:23:01 »
Yes it's good to spread the crop over a couple of months so you don't explode with strawbs. Plus it means you can always find a time to do jam, whereas with my luck I'd be on holiday when they cropped and the birds and my lottie neighbours would share them and I'd have to buy more for jam.

I planted Gariguette, Symphony and Marshmello. they're all fab though the first 2 succumbed to the excess of water last year. I've done raised beds now and will plant more in them.

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 20:47:25 »
I have some Red Gauntlet and they were very nice, it was only the plants 1st year so the crop was  not massive but I have high hopes for next year.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 23:26:47 »
I have Elsanta and Symphony. The birds adored them.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal