Author Topic: Garlic in oil?  (Read 2142 times)

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Garlic in oil?
« on: July 09, 2004, 19:56:33 »
I've just harvested my garlic and the bulbs are a lot smaller than I expected but there are a lot of bulbs drying in the sun!  I share my produce with No2 son and his wife and he has designs on the garlic - apparently he chops it finely and bungs it in a jar of olive oil.  I'm getting him to do some for me.  Anyone else tried it?  I did try it with basil and was very disappointed - the top bits went furry!

Lavender

• Quarter Acre
Re:Garlic in oil?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 22:19:57 »
Hi feet of Clay - not sure about the garlic, never tried it, but think I may know what happened to the basil.  Jekka McVicar of herb farm fame gave a talk on growing basil at Gardeners World Live thingy.  She was saying, among other interesting things, that when the basil is getting a bit past it and starting to flower (eat the flowers) then get some cheap olive oil and put the basil leaves in.  Don't leave any sticking out - press down with a plate if necessary.  Sadly I can't remember how long to infuse the oil, but the trick is to strain it and not leave any basil as it will go off.  Then bottle it up.  She said not to be tempted to put a leaf in for decoration as this will also taint the oil.  The end result is basil flavoured oil, rather than preserved basil.  Hope that helps, and sorry about the garlic - I'm sure others will answer that one!

PS my garlic is very small too, but good things come in small packages!  And by the way - where did you find the sun?  ;)  
There'll be years for cooking and cleaning - get yer wellies on!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 07:03:44 »
Need to check back on this, but much has been said about the dangers of preserving in oil alone. Certainly for any length of time. Mostly there seems to have been a need for acidity. There's much on the net, too.  I think that John M made a contribution on this? Here's one for starters -http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/pickle.htm

Why not freeze - like we do with ginger, chillies, galangal, lime juice etc? = Tim

Sorry - read this as preserving garlic, rather than making flavoured oils.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 16:47:59 by tim »

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 12:10:56 »
I have tried it successfully.

I  put 4 whole peeled cloves of garlic into a jar containing extra virgin olive oil, making sure they were covered with oil.  
After a week or so the garlic had infused resulting in a pronounced flavour of garlic.
Would recommend trying this as the resulting oil is very versatile if you are a keen cook such as I am  ;D

Debs

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 14:37:29 »
Thanks.  The sun was more ironic than actual!  Suitably inspired, I am planning to make a range of flavoured oils to use in the depths of winter - to remind me of warmer weather.

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 04:21:36 »
Debs

did you leave the Garlic in or take it out after the week ??

i have left mine in ! now although it has browned a little after 2 weeks (err i think 2 weeks) the oil has a really nice taste to it and is a little thicker than the normal olive oil

Im still alive and kicking (and stinking too !!! according to wife)
i think next time i shall remove as have 2 more large containers of best olive oil and light olive oil for fry on the go which have been there a week now i bruised the garlic a little this time so it probably a little stronger anyway

carl  
another member of i forgot my password

micsmum

• Half Acre
  • Gottie Lottie Now!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 13:29:29 »
Just a word of advice from one of our scientists who grows his own chillis.
 :o :o Never do this with chillis! Even if you heat them in the oil first, the result can be the formation of the potentially lethal Botullism bug. He states that to be safe the mixture has to consist of at least 6% vinegar.
Thought I'd better pass on that little gem of info.
Helen

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 16:10:12 »
Aha! Someone agrees with me?? = Tim

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 21:44:56 »
Carloso,

I left mine in - they've been there a couple of months at least and I haven't suffered any effects.

Debs

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal