Author Topic: SWAP SHOP  (Read 1031 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
SWAP SHOP
« on: January 25, 2008, 23:37:41 »
I expect to be shot down in flames for this comment but here goes. ::)

In the swop shop these days all we see is pass the parcel for seeds. For peeps that do not want to do P P, there is not much chance of being able to swop seeds, is this very fair i ask myself, which i answer no.
I feel it is a bit out of control now with so many peeps wanting to do the same thing.
There that is that out of the way.   Rosebud.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
Re: SWAP SHOP
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 23:46:14 »
I'm still happy to swap, and still do!
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 23:51:09 »
Rosebud, I think what's happened is that so many people took part in the Pass the Parcels before and had so much fun that we're having a bit of a mad phase of them. I'm sure it'll pass.    ;D

Having checked the 19 topics on the Swap Shop front page, I counted 6 which were Pass the Parcel related and one about a competition. That leaves a dozen swap offers or requests - a pretty hefty majority. Was there something you wanted to swap?
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:25:52 »
I still swap stuff too!! infact i must get a list together!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 08:47:50 »
I am running a pass the parcel by request, I has so many folks ask me to do one after the ones I did last year I promised I would do another in the spring,however I also have loads of seeds to swap and I check daily to see if I can help with what is needed.  I don't see request very often though.I have also put a huge tomato swap page on and have so far swapped with about 30 people.

Is there anything you are looking for, I do have a lot of seeds as I buy most in bigger packets and am always sending out toms, beans and squash to people who are just starting.

I think the pass the parcel and the swaps are different, with my tomato swap I insisted it was only for tomatoes, 10 seeds for 10 seeds and it seems to have been well received.

To be honest, there is little in seeds I want but I am still happy to swap if folks need anything. I was very fortunate to get some onion seeds that I was searching for recently, however running a pass the parcel is one way I can share my surplus. Last year I made grab bags of seeds and offered them as freebies.

I am always on the lookout for different squash, beans and tomatoes especially and I did intend putting a request on for some flower seeds,(which I will do today) and did also recently request mini veg.

I personally find that the swap parcels seem to be great for folks who are just building their seed stash and I enjoy helping with that...but I am happy to share as a direct swap too.

Please post your needs and I will be more than happy to help. Seeds are for sharing  is my thought.

By the way, not shooting you down, you have a valid point and it may help clear a muddled grey area for newbies especially so I think it is a good post.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 08:51:52 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 09:57:00 »
I am a newbie here, and already done a few one on one swaps with members.

Also peeps have given me seeds without asking for any in return so I can try different things.

I have joined one pass the parcel swap as another member said its a good way for me to learn about other varieties that are available and try them out.

I have been amazed with the kindness and helpfuness I have found on this forum, its been great :) My seed collection has grown in a matter of days.

As a beginner I have found it fantastic!! 

So I cant complain :D  : D

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 10:03:53 »
we do have a lot of newbies at the moment and that is a great thing so perhaps we should say here that they are welcome to post requests for seeds and not to think they have to be part of a swap if they dont want to be. i love being in the pass the parcels but i didnt join one for a long time.  i do think of swaps and parcels as two seperate things really.  i think the swapping is great for gathering less available varieties and more varieties of things like tomatoes and chillies where you dont really want to but whole packets.  perhaps it would be helpful to have the parcels as a child thread (is that what they are called?) within the swap shop board. 

floraldi

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 17:06:59 »
I still swap stuff too!! infact i must get a list together!!

I keep reading the PtheP too but worry that if I took part or started one I might not be quick enough as I don't go out a lot and the post office is in an awkward place for me. So far I have only swopped a few seed packets.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal