Author Topic: Chicory  (Read 1269 times)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Chicory
« on: January 20, 2008, 16:28:14 »
Not sure what to do with this CHICORY BIANCA DI MILANO its been in the ground since sept/oct and had a look today and its ok after you take off a few outer leaves.

Any ideas apart from eating in a salad.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Re: Chicory
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 16:38:47 »
It tasted like the chinese cabbage a bit. I put some at the bottom of my cauliflower cheese to try with the sauce. Still got a bag left can no-one help me??

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 17:21:19 »
How about boiling them 20 minutes, then wrap a slice of ham around them, put in a dish and cover with a cheesey sauce - a bit like for cauliflower cheese, though!  Very Belgian!

The Belgians (at least the ones I know) also eat them chopped and slowly cooked in a pan with a little sugar and some beer (what else :o) !!  ;D

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 17:45:33 »
chicory bakes nicely - from The River Cafe, 'Cicoria al Forno

6 heads of chicory; 2 oz butter; 4 oz pancetta chopped; 2 oz fresh breadcrumbs; finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons; 3 tablespoons chopped parsley; 4 oz parmesan; 8 fl oz double cream; salt and pepper

oven 190 c
grease a shallow oven proof dish - slice the chicory in quarters and layer the dish with it - mix pancetta with the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, parsley and half the parmesan and season - scatter this over the chicory, pour over the lemon juice and dot with butter - cover with foil and bake 40 mins - remove foil, pour over the cream, sprinkle with the remaining parmesan and bake another 15 mins

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal