Author Topic: Sweet Peas  (Read 795 times)

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
Sweet Peas
« on: January 23, 2008, 17:49:55 »
Hi all, i have some sweet peas in the greenhouse growing away merrily, they are about 3-4 " high at the minute, i wondered if i need to pinch them out to encourage " bushy " growth, or just leave them??? Greenhouse is heated to around 18 Celsius min, higher during day.  :) :)
Thas a rummun !!

morton

• Half Acre
Re: Sweet Peas
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 17:55:39 »
I would pinch them out otherwise they will get too leggy. Sweet peas are best grown in an open cold frame however and not in a cold greenhouse let alone a heated one. Sow in November and leave them open to the elements only covering when we get the really hard daytime frosts that last for ages [ie like we used to get]. You get much stronger plants that way. You can also cover them when we get day after day of rain [like we have been getting].

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 17:57:36 »
Oops, mine are too leggy, will pinch them out now. When do I plant them out?
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 18:00:32 »
If they are inside then just stand them out when the weather suits to acclimatise. Depending on the weather I do not plant them out until march even though they are accustomed to the weather.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 18:04:10 »
 :) they do need pinching out, but the weather is silly, I have sweet peas climbing my almond tree at the mo, which is just wrong ::)

you plant them out in April
grow your own way

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal