Author Topic: Frogspawn  (Read 21659 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Frogspawn
« on: January 23, 2008, 16:15:13 »
I was amazed and delighted yeaterday when i discovered a huge clump of frogspawn in my pond. I could not beleive my eyes, particularly when you consider it is only january. Quite recently laid too, it was not there on sunday when i did a bit of maintainance on the pond. I didnt even know there were any frogs around, since i havent seen any around for months. Now looks like we might have quite a few.

It is a bit worrying to get spawn so early, but i guess its been so mild that the poor frogs thought it was spring already. I just hope that the next cold snap isnt too cold and kills the spawn off. I wish there wa something I could do to protect it from cold weather but you cant exacly stick a bit of fleece ofer the pond like you could a plant in the border!

Has anyone else got spawn in their pond, or seen/heard signs of frogs 'courting' in the garden?

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: Frogspawn
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 12:48:35 »
Congratulation Richard on the new inhabitants of your pond.  It seems very early to have frogspawn already, as I somehow feel there is an awful lot more winter to contend with yet. They can freeze though and survive if the weather does get bad.

We were quite late last year, and at the earliest it would be the end of next month before we would see some, but that makes me think I should be rushing out to the garden to clear our pond in readiness just in case they are going to be early this year. 

Let's keep this thread going so we can keep abreast of frogspawn around the country.  :)  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 18:57:59 »
how incredible.  Wonder when ours will appear.  Have you reported it on the BBC site ?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 21:56:29 »
nothing here, we had some early spawn last year, it all died off in the cold..mind you, they made up for it  later  ;D

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 00:02:01 »
Got some in Devon. About 3 weeks earlier than last year.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 10:49:46 »
nothing here, we had some early spawn last year, it all died off in the cold..mind you, they made up for it  later  ;D

Really ?
I saw a program on the BBC last year and they showed frogs in the cairngorms spawning and mating in a pond surrounded by snow.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 18:29:25 »
yes, only one lump but it was in january, quite close to the surface..maybe it got eaten ?  :)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 21:05:57 »
When i first found the spawn it was on top of a marginal plant basket and half sticking out of the water (someone must've  been in a hurry!). I carefully moved it into deeper water, so it didnt dry out or get attacked by birds. Speaking of which i understand frogspawn can get predated by birds, not just water birds but land ones as well (if they can get to it). I think blackbirds can be partial to a bit of frogspawn, but I could be wrong there.

When you say report it on the BBC website, I take it you mean the Springwatch site?

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 16:21:39 »
When i first found the spawn it was on top of a marginal plant basket and half sticking out of the water (someone must've  been in a hurry!). I carefully moved it into deeper water, so it didnt dry out or get attacked by birds. Speaking of which i understand frogspawn can get predated by birds, not just water birds but land ones as well (if they can get to it). I think blackbirds can be partial to a bit of frogspawn, but I could be wrong there.

When you say report it on the BBC website, I take it you mean the Springwatch site?
No it was the Alan Titmarsh program nature of Britain.  He went to the wilderness areas of the UK.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 19:33:30 »
I have frogspawn in my pond for the very first time, though I've had the pond for several years. It arrived last Tuesday and I'm so hoping we don't get a frosty spell here in the southwest. It would be lovely to see taddies eventually.

Tricia

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 12:14:02 »
It was delightful seeing a little frog take a flying leap into our pond last week when I frightened it walking by.

We're supposed to have cold weather into the 20s coming but they seem to be tough little critters.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 00:59:48 »
No sign here but keeping my fingers crossed.  Pond constructed last May and we did see a frog jumping in to escape from OH during last summer so can only hope we'll have our very first tads this spring.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 15:40:30 »
Sure you will Jill.  I am down South but mine always seem to spawn later than anyone else's.  But it is exciting when you see it.

Sinbad

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 18:02:22 »
Do fish eat frogspawn? My clump seems to have disappeared, though the toadspawn is still evident.

Tricia

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 10:59:00 »
I am a bit concerned about mine with all these frosts. I know you said the spawn was really hardy and tough but at least some of mine get stuck on the ice on the surface every night at the moment. Surely this cant do them any good?

I read in AG magazine this week that if you have frogspawn  and the pond looks like freezing you should take some out, put it in a bucket of pond water and keep it in a cool but frost free place until the cold snap has passed. i did think about doing this but it seems a bit OTT to me. Besides it seems a bit late now we have had sharp frosts several nights running.

Has anyone 'rescued' frogspawn like this during frosty weather?

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 16:13:23 »
Hi tricia,

The fish, well my fish don't eat frogspawn they wait by it for the little taddies to wriggle out then they eat them.

Sometimes the frogspawn drops down deeper into the pond but don't know anything that actually eats the spawn.

Sinbad

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 18:04:34 »
Never rescued a spawn in me life. And we'll be swarming with frogs and toads by Spring- they make a deafening racket and sometimes wish there were fewer. Owls and cats eat them and still they march along.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 22:26:07 »
got the first little clump in my pond and it looks like the frogs are busy making more. I can see them through the window but if I go anywhere near they just dive down
GA my pond is in a cold part of the garden and gets badly iced up but every year I have loads of frogs so I don,t think it needs rescuing. I havn,t any fish as I heard they eat taddys and cannot have that as I love my frogs
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 22:38:15 »
The problem is Marg, taddies eat taddies, so no different to the fish eating them really.  It's all part of the food chain I guess.

Sinbad

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 11:09:00 »
The problem is Marg, taddies eat taddies, so no different to the fish eating them really.  It's all part of the food chain I guess.

Sinbad
this is very true1 in previous years I have felt very protective about my little clump of spawn but I,m looking at my (very) little pond now and it,s chock full of frogs
mmm doing what frogs do lol I am worried how much spawn there will be
as you say eating each other is natures way
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal