Author Topic: Red Kuri or Uchiki Kuri or Uchiku Kuri??  (Read 4057 times)

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
Red Kuri or Uchiki Kuri or Uchiku Kuri??
« on: January 19, 2008, 21:42:20 »
There seems to be some confusion in the seed catalogues as to whether these are different names for the same variety, or two different varieties.
Simpson's Seeds says it is the same variety, but Plants of Distinction and Seeds of change, sell the seeds as separate varieties.
However, the two disagree on how quick the varieties are ready for picking. Plants of D say Uchiku Kuri takes 120 days, while Seeds of change says
 "Uchiki Kuri Squash
Cucurbita maxima
3-4 lbs.

This Red Kuri (Hubbard-type) winter squash has been selected for uniform fruit shape and high yield. Flesh is dark orange and of superb eating quality. Can store for several months.

Show this item to others!
  Planting depth: 1/2 - 1"
Soil temp. for germ.: 70-95°F
Days to germ.: 5-10
Plant spacing: 3-4'
Days to maturity: 50-55
Full sun
Moderate water  Red Kuri Squash
Cucurbita maxima
3-4 lbs."

One says that the squash matures quickly, while the other says that it is slow! This is rather important when you are in the North of the UK.
The only other difference that I see is the spelling of Uchiki or Uchiku, which may mean that they are quite different.
Can anyone throw any light on this?
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Red Kuri or Uchiki Kuri or Uchiku Kuri??
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 22:26:02 »
Spelling is Uchiki.

Kuri is the Japanese name for chestnut.

It is a maxima and it is a hubbard type

Think of Kuri as the original, comes blue and red,red being the earlier one.

Think of Uchiki Kuri being an improved version of Kuri, I don't see it though.

So you could find both in a seed catalogue.

You will also find it listed as Red Kuri as opposed to Blue Kuri

The trade name for Kuri is Hokaido which is also sold as a seperate squash.

Sometimes seen advertised as Onion squash

I would have to argue with 50 days to harvest even 50 days from transplant , but if one is quoting from seeding and one from transplanting that might be the difference, but I still think it is a  big stretch and I wouldn't trust it.

I would consider it about 85 days personally which is not long in the squash world.

Size by the way is up to 2 1/2 kg but smaller is more likely.

It does store well.

If it helps it grows quite well on the scale of things in the UK and I grow with no problems in Hull.

Seeds are frequently mis named with this one especially if home grown.

I tend to think of them as the same while technically they are not supposed to be

Hope this helps XX Jeannine

Added. I have een through several books since I wrote this and they maturity is generally considered to be 90 days XX
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 22:40:16 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

real food

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 21:16:27 »
Thanks for your very full reply. I hoped that you would have the answer!!
Several years ago I grew seeds called Red Kuri, and they performed well, even hybridised with with First Taste.  I now suspect that Uchiki Kuri may be a selected form of Red Kuri. I must ask Plants of Distinction seeing that they are offering both varieties.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 21:34:43 »
That info was very useful Jeannine - I suspect then that my Hokkaido squash is this Uchiki Kuri?

I bought it cos the writeup said it made two types of fruit - they look different apparently, and the growing tips/shoots are edible too.  I love multipurpose plants so promptly bought it.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 21:37:22 »
Hi, I would be very interested to hear what they say, this one crops up from time to time and I think everyone has a different slant on it. I have friends who swear they are the same and others who say the opposite.  I will stake all I have on the 50 day thing is wrong though, I bet that is a misprint.In fact I don't know a winter squash that would mature in 50 days, a summer one would be pushing it LOL. Personally I have never seen a difference in the Kuris worth a mention that couldn't be explained by weather or geographical position. Maybe we should do a controlled test!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 21:38:59 »
Hi, I would be very interested to hear what they say, this one crops up from time to time and I think everyone has a different slant on it. I have friends who swear they are the same and others who say the opposite.  I will stake all I have on the 50 day thing is wrong though, I bet that is a misprint.In fact I don't know a winter squash that would mature in 50 days, a summer one would be pushing it LOL. Personally I have never seen a difference in the Kuris worth a mention that couldn't be explained by weather or geographical position. Maybe we should do a controlled test!!

XX Jeannine

I will send you some of the Hokkaido seed along with the other stuff.  You would know far better than me if it is the same plant or a different one to the Uchiki Kuri.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 22:02:43 »
Rob, I have those seeds, but thankyou anyway. I suspect POD will say that the Uchiki Kuri has a more yellow flesh and is a bit smaller, than the Red Kuri which is distinctly orange, this is what is usually said however many squash growers believe the Kuri has been mixed up and messed about much like the Brandywine tomato. With this squash I tend to  be a bit sceptical. Trouble is it is so easy to create another squash and with seeds being sold everwhere it is hard to be sure about many of them.

I have grown Kuris that were 2lbs and some that were 5lbs, some with orange flesh and some with paler flesh and all from the same plant. The only thing I know for sure is none of them mature in 50 days!!!

Like tomatoes, different strains can "develop" a new one so easily.

It is so similar to Potimarron that even those get misnamed.

XX Jeannine

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 22:24:29 »
Hi I have just found this online which sort of says what I am saying above.

http://chezpim.typepad.com/blogs/2006/11/soupe_de_potima.html

XX Jeannine

real food

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 21:35:00 »
I contacted Plants of Distinction, who are selling both varieties, and they gave the following answer which is not very helpfull.

"The difference between Red Kuri and Uchiki Kuri is that Red Kuri has
butterscotch flesh and seeds, an altogether darker flesh and it is also a
better keeper."

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 22:25:24 »
That is what I thought they would say. Bit of advice but either and if yiu want a second one buy something very different. XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal