Author Topic: Which is the best breadmaker ?  (Read 15519 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Which is the best breadmaker ?
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 14:26:29 »
You probably have it baked by now !!!
XX Jeannine

Now come on Jeannine, I haven't found a suitable place to put it yet!     ::)  ;D

There is no room on the working surfaces in the kitchen as it would be too near the overhanging cupboards.  Eventually it will go into the utility room that is being done up at the moment.  The working surfaces have yet to be fitted in there by my OH, but he has been too busy out in the garden these past few weekends!

I may be able to put it on the kitchen table as an interim measure, just to try it out.    I will let you know when my first loaf is produced.    ;D ;D

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 17:23:28 »
Just rediscovered this thread. My bread can be a bit hit and miss. Do you think that has anything to do with using a cheaper bread maker. Mine is a Morphy Richards I got from freecycle.

I usually use a bread mix now, but still the results can be a bit different.

cj :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 19:36:58 »
Here it is, my first loaf made in my Panasonic.  I suppose I cheated a bit because I used a bread mix of dried tomatoes and parmesan. 

Caroline, I was speaking to my niece this afternoon (Prink 13) and she has a Morphy Richards which she picked up for a fiver.  She tends to use the packet mixes as they give better results in her machine being not so hit and miss.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2008, 20:20:25 »
Thanks Pauline,

I was beginning to think it was me. Better start saving for a panasonic ;D

That looks tasty!!I can almost smell it ;D

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2008, 20:46:03 »
As a mere man (who's made bread regularly for 35+ years): what's a bread mix? why do you need to put oil in bread? why do you need sugar & vitamin C?

Flour - 2 lb; Water - 1 pint; salt - 1 desertspoon; yeast - quarter ounce; rising time - all day

Simple. (Don't even have to knead if you can't, though it's better if you can: use a machine for that bit, but bake in oven - far better results.)

Granddaughter number 1 (aged 7) makes gorgeous bread!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2008, 20:53:45 »
Trevor,

I thought kneading was essential. What difference does it make if you dont? Do you just stir it? Will it work with fast action yeast?

Thanks

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2008, 21:08:35 »
I was thinking of the Grant Loaf. Just mix up the dough & leave it to rise, then pop it into the pan. It's a wartime recipe; try googling "Dorothy Grant". (I think the original idea was to encourage busy housewives to make bread, and it wasn't given much rising time. If you use the same recipe, but let it rise for hours, it produces very nice bread.)

But yes, I always knead (5 minutes). But let it prove for at least 8 hours. (Come on - get a life! You're not seriously going to sit there & watch it rise, are you??? Go and dig the lottie!!!)

Fast action?? What's fast about bread?? (That's the point!!!)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 21:10:35 by Trevor_D »

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2008, 18:41:06 »
Try using Sainsbury's own flour not Tesco or Asda I find I get much better results. I've got a Russell Hobbs had it for 3 years now use it mostly every day.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2008, 18:44:22 »
Thanks Rosyred,

I dont have a sainsburys near me though, so I wil have to wait a while till I get to one.

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2008, 18:59:18 »
Well I bought a Lidl breadmaker about 4 years ago. It makes two loaves (sanwiches for my son and me) and I have used it 3 times a week. It cost the grand sum of £29.99. Unfortunately they only appear to do a single loaf version now as mine needs replacing :'(

As for flour, I use the best basic ones I can find; Waitrose or Doves Organic brown and white breadmaking flour or from a colleague who mills flour at an old watermill.

Recipe
2.25 cups flour
1 tsp quick dried yeast
0.5 tsp sea salt
0.5 tbspn sugar
1 tbspn sunflower oil
7 fl oz water

The only problem I have had was when I used rye flour - it was too heavy to be stirred by the machine and I only just rescued it in time!

OC

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2008, 19:07:41 »
You don't need to put sugar or oil in bread, but you do in the particular recipe I quoted.

I also have recipes for breads that don't have to be kneaded but again they are a  different type of bread to the one posted most are batter breads.

My regular bread which I prefer is a sour dough French, I don't put oil or sugar in that one and I use a sour dough that has been on the go for years, but I do have to knead that one. I use a Kenwood Major when making it as I am unable to hand knead anymore but even handling the dough is a problem sometimes for me so I don't do it so often.

I used to love kneading,  I did it to several verses of Rock Of Ages, it was just the right rhythm, and it felt really good to whack it down from shoulder height every so often, but those days are past.

...but then I can't do the splits anymore either LOL

A really good book for budding bread makers by the way is Bernard Claytons Complete book of Breads, it is one of many I have and I think the best, it should be in the library.

Your bread looks smashing Pauline, don't forget the butter, and I have it on good authority that if you eat it before it cools the calories in the butter don't count!!  Sounds a bit like the other phoney too...if you eat chocolates in the bath the calories don't count LOL

I hope you enjoy your machine, well done.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2008, 19:27:29 »
I have it on good authority that if you eat it before it cools the calories in the butter don't count!!  Sounds a bit like the other phoney too...if you eat chocolates in the bath the calories don't count LOL

Is that so!!! (no ...dont spoil it for me ::))

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2008, 11:29:15 »
Trevor, most of the recipes in the Panasonic handbook say to add butter or oil, sugar and salt.  They say it helps the bread to rise.  It's good that your granddaughter enjoys making bread. 

Loaf number two came out yesterday.  This time it was a plain white one.  Not quite as delicious as the sundried tomato and parmesan but far superior to any bought loaves.  I will try making a wholemeal loaf tomorrow.

Jeannine, I am avoiding butter at the moment and use a cholesterol lowering margerine.  My last count was high despite being on a high dose of medication for it!  The bread was so tasty that I didn't notice the spread!    ;D ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2008, 11:41:13 »
Not strictly on topic but is about breadmaking. The Dough book (and Jamie O on TV the other day) suggest  a slab of granite in the oven to bake on. Does anyone else actually do this and will any old granite do?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2008, 12:59:33 »
Hi I have  stone slab (not granite though)I use for some things like pizza, and I have a marble one too. You can use any natural stone but not the composite ones that you buy in tile shops..

They give a lovely crisp crust,  be careful with the weight if you are using it on a shelf thogh and have it small enough that there is an airflow around it.

I like them very much and would not be without them.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2008, 13:14:02 »
Thanks Jeannine :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2008, 21:05:41 »
anyone tried the bread making packs from lakeland plastics, they have lots of different ones  :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2008, 23:49:35 »
No, I haven't tried them but have bought Wrights.  I love their sun dried tomato bread mix but my overall favourite is Sainsbury own brand sunflower bread mix. 
;D ;D

Does anyone else have any favourites?

wiltshire lass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2008, 07:00:10 »
i was thinking about getting a bread maker  but i don't want it to be a fad.
where you would use it once or twice then it would end up in the cu bored collecting dust like the sandwich toaster. ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2008, 11:43:59 »
I totally agree, it took me several years to buy one after borrowing firends to try now and again. I actually used to laugh at folks with breadmakers, but as time went on and my arms became a problem I started to buy bread which we hate , so I started to seriously investigate the choices of bread makers, it took me more than a year to make up my mind and I have never regretted it.

I thought I would be the last person in the world to get one, it is definitely not a fad in this house, it is in constant use.

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal