Author Topic: hi im new!!  (Read 1491 times)

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
hi im new!!
« on: January 15, 2008, 19:46:17 »
Hi & hello to you all,

I'm new to the forum but not new to the benefits of growing your own, i had my first allotment when i was the young age of 12 & now at 37 still growing strong ;D.

gained my allotment only last year and its a huge plot good sandy/loam soil,The first year crop was not to bad as i just wanted to see what would grow well, spuds did well main crop!, first Early's failed!, was hit by loads of the dreaded wire worm which ate the first Early's & some of my carrots, carrot root fly was an issue too!.And the dry summer we had did not help has i had no water buts but after a few phone calls & £50.00 I've now got 3 x 1000ltr tanks.
Also got infested by rabbits which ate all my salads but this was rectified with some lead & a lamp, Then i got hit by rats in august 2007 they had away with some of the beetroot & all of my corn on the cob the gits! so plenty of rat poisen later & we are winning the battle at last.
The last person who had my plot & my very first weekend down there had the dreaded carpet cuts for weed control (my pet hate) this is by far the worst thing you can do it stinks when its wet and a great home for vermin when its piled 5ft high, yes 5ft high & 6ftx6ft pile like mine was, what a burn day that was!.
For weed control Ive asked the local council who have kindly delivered loads of wood chippings when they go around during late summer & all winter & its a great compost too, not forgetting my cow poo too.
The only thing left now is my mole problem cant get rid of the little bugger!! only last weekend 12/01/08 he made an appearance and WACK!! with me shovel thought i had him but no, 4 hours later he was back!.My good old grandad gave me his tip of a jam jar in his run as they only go one way they cant go backwards?.
so here's to 2008 & see what we can do with the seeds this year as i say "They have 2 choices they grow or they don't"
I was growing my veg at first at home in the back garden, but after friends and family found the taste for fresh veg I've had to expand.
I will post some pics of the site very soon.
Ive also got 20 hens on the plot which pay for my fees & feed which is great, coming from a strong farming back ground i will be more than happy to help any one.
I'm currently building a diy poly tunnel which i will keep you posted on this too!, total cost of this venture was only £95.00 & i will give you the details of this as & when & if it works well i will sell it as a kit size 18ftx14ft £100.00 + £45.00 delivery or the plans for £2.50. If you buy one this size it will set you back £300.00 plus.
At present I've done the base and when these storms have passed i will put up the frame & then cover, Jan 19 2008 UK.
today i will be growin veg!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: hi im new!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 19:55:41 »
Hiya, thegoodlife, welcome to the site..sounds like you had a mixed bag last year, mind you, I think we were all in the same boat..hope you can get rid of your mole friend..and that you get better spuds and carrots this year  :)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 09:43:49 »
Welcome aboard.  :D

I'm surprised that your ID wasn't already taken.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 10:24:54 »
Welcome to the forum.

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 10:54:57 »
Welcome, and lets see some pictures :-)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 20:35:40 »
I was going to say welcome to the madhouse, but it seems you already have one, are you sure its an allotment you have and not a zoo, moles, hens, rabbits, rats, any way good luck and happy digging.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 16:13:18 »
Welcome from me too. I'm very interested to see pics of your diy polytunnel. Can't wait to see the pics.  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 11:14:24 »
Hi Steve,
                just seen your post aand welcome, if you had rats on your allotment do you noit think the rats attracted them, cheers

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 19:12:03 »
 and from me too :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 21:09:40 »
Enjoy the site. Feel the force, may the plot be with you...
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 13:51:18 »
You almost sneaked in without me saying Hello!
 ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal