Author Topic: Watering  (Read 2078 times)

Kerry

• Hectare
Watering
« on: July 08, 2004, 18:39:27 »
hi all, :)
a timely question perhaps, in this weather?
Occurred to me as I borrowed my neighbours hose for our veggie beds only to watch it rain last night and this morning...... >:(
I wondered how many of you water on a regular basis, and if you are particular about what and how you water, veggie-wise.
Obviously I water stuff in pots and greenhouse, but the beds themselves - I have only done on a couple of occasions this season, and then thoroughly.
I tend to leave it to fend for itself, and I still get good crops. Or would they be better with a regular water? Nothing dies or looks like it is suffering.
I dig in horse muck each winter, and my own compost.
What do you practise? Treat them mean or out with the hose?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Watering
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 22:43:57 »
I water my greenhouse and conservatory plants and all of the pots dotted around my garden, but with no mains water at the plot, I only have water butts, so things like new seedlings get a little extra care, but once they are away, they are left to fend for themselves!  Loads of muck in the ground to help keep the moisture in.  I have suffered this year with spinach and fennel all bolting very quickly and I put this down to lack of water.  Will try to remember that next year so I can look after them a bit better.

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 23:00:07 »
I was under the impression that if you watered regularly you are not encourging the roots to seek water downwards and thus creating shallow roots that are more easily damaged by the gardener when you hoe/weed etc.
As EJ points out though there are some crops which do require that regular watering otherwise they bolt! ie - you just cant win ;)

I must admit i have watered alot less this year despite the long period of good weather we had and i'm quite happy with the results so far.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 08:04:29 »
May I have a bash at this one? MY thoughts, only.
Watering is a can of worms. It is also a priceless commodity. There are moral, environmental & financial aspects. And everyone & every patch of soil is different.

If you decide that you will water, then PLAN - don't PANIC. For instance, most folk let their lawn go brown & then rush for the sprinkler. By which time most of the roots are dead. In any event, I don't agree with sprinklers for other than commercial purposes. And, apart from tubs & baskets, I believe that water should not be wasted on non- productive areas. With one exception - newly planted trees: these should be given at least 5 - 20 gal a fortnight for their first 6 months, depending on size.

Certainly veg transplants, having first been soaked,  should be 'puddled in' after planting. But then left alone for a week. I do not believe that you can realistically water potatoes. With most other things, 'how deep is the root'? The water must get there. A leek, for instance, might need 2l to reach the roots. A cabbage, 1/2 - 1l?
I believe that one should estimate the amount needed, measure the flow rate of hose or can, & give each plant exactly that measured time of watering. And water THE PLANT - at its roots - with a lance, not a spray - & not its top or the weeds all around. If you pay for water like we do, it helps you to respect the stuff! And your neighbours, who suddenly find that they have no pressure.
And water in the evening, when it will not all be lost in evaporation.

Mostly, we let things be. They may not be as brilliant as they might have been, but they seldom die. And isn't it strange - the way a quick shower can have more effect than a week of mains water??

Some folk say water & let dry - others say keep nicely moist. I'm not the judge. And I'm wide open to criticism. There are many papers on the subject, but the one I found this morning might be of some help?  = Tim

http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/lanb002/lanb002.htm   

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 11:03:47 »
My pots and mini greenhouse get water when they are slightly dry. I don't water my established borders unless it has been very hot and very dry. Then they get a good soak about once a week (and then it usually rains the next day!) Most of my edibles are in pots or containers (due to lack of space). I only have toms, courgettes and squashes in the ground. I only watered the latter two when I planted them (really well watered - lots of muck) - tey've stayed moist since. The toms get treated same as established borders - soaked once a week when really hot. Although when I first put them in a gave them a bit more.
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 12:53:02 »
And what a difference the rain makes!  Got up to the plot today and the recently dug beds have gone from lumpy hard dry clods to a soft fine tilth.  My beetroots, which altho happy, were looking a touch 'sad' are now pert and glossy.  And the weeds are a growing yet again!  

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 15:50:30 »
Yes, to all of the above.
No hoses allowed at our lottie complex anyway.
I think we are all pretty much on the same track when it comes to watering, always nice to see your own system be confirmed by others.

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 12:57:24 »
hi all, thanks for the replies. :)
Agree with the above suggestions, as Ina says, it's good to see agreement on what I'm already doing.
Tim, thanks for that link, it was very interseing reading, particularly the bit about how clay takes longer to absorb-I'm on clay here.
It confirms that you can need quite an amount to make a difference, also I'm happy now about digging in horse muck, puddling things in and leaving it to get on with it.
I also have 2 water butts to conserve water, we have a well, which we have directed the back gutters into, it's quite amazing how much pours out of the pipe even when it's not tipping it down, you wouldn't believe it.
ps. and raining hard today! :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal