Author Topic: What is it?? Weed or Crop??????  (Read 2415 times)

TrailRat

• Half Acre
  • I like the feel of dirt in my teeth
What is it?? Weed or Crop??????
« on: July 10, 2004, 08:01:49 »
Just taken over this plot and I want to know about something that is sporadicaly placed all over half of my plot. I have seen it on some of the untended plots but not on any of the taken plots. It has a thick stem, almost woody with leaves that are narrow and come to a point at both ends with little hairs on but doesn't sting. What is it? Does anyone know of a site where I can identify them? And what is the best course of action for them if they are weeds?

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

Spurdie

• Acre
Re:What is it?? Weed or Crop??????
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 09:33:56 »
Hello, good morning and welcome!
Have no idea what your "plant" might be, but if it is as random as you say it is, it sounds like a weed! Couldn't you dig one up and put it in a pot just in case it turns out to be a flower? ;)

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 11:18:10 »
morning Trailrat

i was directed to this site by a poster some time ago and found it very useful.

http://theseedsite.co.uk/weeds2.html

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 13:52:10 »
hi trailrat :)
first thought:comfrey?
any chance of taking a picture? height, spread, flowers, colour, any more clues?

TrailRat

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 13:57:30 »
nah not comfrey, I'd know comfrey as I have a tub of that at my mums house. The tallest of these plants was about 5ft, the leaves has thorns running down the underside along the veins and the stems have soft thorns at the top which getter harder as you get near the root. Also when you snap a stem it "bleeds" a white sap.

TrailRat
If it weren't for beer and sex than cycling would be the best thing in the world.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 13:58:43 »
Teasel is a possibility.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 14:06:13 »
agree with palustris-teasel sounds appropriate.
If it is, they're great wildlife plants, but warning, when the seeds ripen you will find them everywhere next spring! I grow them myself, like the architectural look, and wildlife friendliness.
Does it have spiky oval tops to the stems?

TrailRat

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 14:09:10 »
Just found a pic of teasel on the net and they don't look like what i saw. No spiky oval top, just what looks like a tiny cluster of buds.

TrailRat

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 15:40:55 »
hmm, foxed by this.  ???
Looked in my wildflower book, given the height and leaf description here are those that fit (some you've probably discounted already)
a form of wild rose, or raspberry, wild mullein, meadowsweet, canadian fleabane(conyza canadensis), hawkweed(hieracium umbellatum), prickly sow-thistle(sonchus asper), bristly ox-tongue(sonchus oleraceus), great lettuce(latuca virosa), great willowherb(epilobium hirsutum), rosebay willowherb(chamaenerion angustifolium) himalayan balsam(impatiens glandulifera), hemp agrimony(eupatorium cannabinum), - and if it's none of the above I'll be out of ideas! ??? :-\
Let us know if it looks anything of the above.
Ask your fellow plot-holders?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal