Author Topic: Training Raspberry Canes  (Read 2093 times)

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
Training Raspberry Canes
« on: July 07, 2004, 23:06:25 »
Second year of growing Raspberries, and now I can reap the rewards. However I would like to know whether  I should train the canes upwards or at an angle? I have also noticed that I appear to have raspberry runners? Can I dig these up and replant?

Wicker

• Hectare
Re:Training Raspberry Canes
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 23:44:57 »
If you have summer fruiting raspberries i.e. you are picking the fruit now or have jsut finished picking , the you should cut these fruited canes down to ground level and let the new canes grow - cutting/pulling out any that you don't want.  the fruit grows on these new canes.  I grow mine straight up - its not really training more a matter of support and tidiness. Two tall poles at each end and in the middle with 3 levels of wire strung along to keep the canes under control!.  Works for me.

Autumn fruiting rasps are different, they crop later (autumn!) and all the canes get cut right down in spring (about Feb I believe) and the new canes don't have to be thinned so much.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 19:52:35 »
Now I know what to do!  ;D Thank you very much.

How about the suckers? Any advice on those? Do I get rid of them or plant them?

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 20:05:47 »
Either really I suppose GQ, depends if you ahve eno0ugh new canes growing in palce already.  If you want more then you could use a fairly strong "sucker".  good luck, I love rasps - fresh or jam or jelly or juiced!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 20:10:54 »
I probably have enough raspberry canes, both sunmmer and autumn fruiting ones, so will dispose of the suckers. Can't wait to taste the yellow raspberries!  :)

Having raspberries and ice-cream for supper-yummy!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal