Author Topic: Help with Gooseberries  (Read 1648 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Help with Gooseberries
« on: July 07, 2004, 22:12:05 »
I am thinking about getting a gooseberry bush. Any suggestions on variety please? I've seen them growing as a bush which is what I would prefer but have also heard them talked about as canes. I have a patch in the garden that is on a south facing wall, with well composted clay soil. How big do they get and what conditions do they like? I would probably use any fruit for making jam.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 22:13:35 by Jesseveve »
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Help with Gooseberries
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 06:15:36 »
While you're waiting, you could talk to Ken Muir - 01255 830181 - always helpful. Have you considered 1/2 standard plants? Much easier to deal  with. = Tim

rdak

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 08:02:58 »
I have an Invicta bush, which I am pleased with. Fruit is very sweet when left on the bush until this time of year. Be vigilant for the saw fly though!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 08:59:21 »
I find Ken Muir's website really helpful and full of information too. Click on the 'ask ken' tab and there's a whole list of PDF files with info on growing all sorts of fruit.
www.kenmuir.co.uk
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 14:18:34 »
Thanks all, Tim and Moggle, I have looked at Ken Muir's website and found it really useful. They recommend a red variety called Whinhams Industry for heavy soils which is probably the best suited to my garden. Although I would have liked a white variety. Mmmm, maybe I'll buy two, now where am I going to plant the second one? My poor credit card!!
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal