Author Topic: How big are half plots usually?  (Read 1907 times)

mo

• Not So New ...
How big are half plots usually?
« on: January 10, 2008, 18:49:17 »
Any idea at what im looking at if i get a half plot? will it be a descent size? Will be grateful getting anything so just after rough idea will def now in 2wks though

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: How big are half plots usually?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 18:51:05 »
300 sq yards is a "standard" allotment in most areas.. so 150 sq yards would seem to be the order...
 :)

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 19:24:06 »
Otherwise known as 5 lugs here in Wiltshire!  ;)
Best wishes,

VP
---------------------------------------------
http://vegplotting.blogspot.com

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 19:47:24 »
Any idea at what im looking at if i get a half plot? will it be a descent size? Will be grateful getting anything so just after rough idea will def now in 2wks though

Plots are different sizes in different areas. Look at the full plots on the site you are looking at. Place an imaginary line through it.

By the time you have a compost heap, manure pile, possibly a small shed or greenhouse - you would then only be left with a quarter plot to cultivate. (If you put all them things in  of course.) Just something to consider.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 20:16:30 »
If you look at my blog you will see roughly how big my half plot is. (link at the bottom of this reply)
Mine is 25ft by 60 ft approx  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 20:23:23 »
If you look at my blog you will see roughly how big my half plot is. (link at the bottom of this reply)
At 30ft by 90ft - Mine is classed as a full plot. By your site I guess I have been robbed a 1/4 plot :(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 22:48:44 »
My half plot is 31m (34 yards) x 11m (12 yards) or 341m2 (408 yards2) which seems very large compared to others mentioned.  Must be why my rent is about £40 per year.  I will add that my half is half of the biggest plot on site but I would estimate that the other full plots are about 450m2.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 07:05:34 »
Hi. My half plot is 51ft by 20 ft but sizes vary so much on our site that my daughter in laws full plot (which is next to mine) is only 50ft by 26 ft!!.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 09:08:32 »
my half plot is 8m by 16m.

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 10:17:29 »
Hi Mo

Our half plot is roughly 10' by 60' - we managed to have a greenhouse, compost bins, a wee area for sitting and eight deep beds out of that.  It's a great size for starting off and trying things out, but you'll soon want more space, I bet.  Check with the commitee/council to see what the deal is with changing plots once you're established - with us, you can move after two successful growing seasons.

Red Clanger - excellent taste in music by the way.  :-*

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 11:02:22 »

Your half plot is a bit bigger than our full plot in London.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 11:18:56 »
Our half plots are 5 rods. I don't know how that works out in metres or feet - and it's far too wet to go down and measure it today!!! 

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 13:18:56 »
Not sure of imperial, but a half plot on our site would be roughly 6m by 20m. Still a fair old size...
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 12:48:34 »
My half plot is 40 foot by 36 foot. Still manage to fit a greenhouse in, bench large shed, compost area, pond, wildlife spot, paths, apple tree, fruit bushes....
It doesnt leave me with a huge amount of growing space, but then I dont have a huge amount of free time!!!  ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 13:38:00 »
Seems to be no standard, unfortunately!! Mine here is a fullplot and measures 5 x 20 m or 15 x 60 feet. Still, you can get a lot on it with a bit of imagination  ;)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 13:43:17 »
Even within the same site, plots vary. For a start, the site was allocated and then the plots laid out within it, so it's quite common to find those in corners or ends to be a bit bigger or smaller. Then plots get split or amalgamated, and not always accurately. And over the years plot-holders tidy the edges and nibble away at paths. The plots on our site are a nightmare because they've been there for a hundred years!

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 14:04:46 »
My plot is a half plot and it's 125 square metres, which is 7m x nearly 18m.But as Trevor said, over the years plot holders have nibbled away at uncultivated land. My plot starts about a metre further back than it should. The plot I took over had been empty for about 5 years, and I only took on half of it. The allotment manager told me to use what I've paid for, and that they'd remeasure the "leftover" land if someone decided to take it on.

fuzzycuzzy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 14:25:06 »
I agree with some of the other posts and it depends on where you live and on what site and even where you are situated on that site.I have a 10 pole plot (which is a full plot) and it measures 250 sq metres but other full plot holders  on our site have gained a few metres either on the width or length in some way. To sum it up, i think its a bit of a lottery!

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 23:10:16 »
My half plot measures 18' x 60', and I was told it was 5 poles.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal