Author Topic: Greenhouses  (Read 1893 times)

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
Greenhouses
« on: February 28, 2004, 00:03:28 »
Does anyone use those plastic type mini green houses which look like a set of shelves with a plastic coat on? (I am sure someone will tell me their proper name!!) My windowledges are full of seeds but i haven't room  in my back garden for a proper green house.  Are they worth investing in?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Tenuse

• Acre
Re: Greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 02:22:46 »
I had one for a couple of years, the framework is sturdy but the plastic ripped away from the zipper after the first year. It worked pretty well though.

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 10:44:47 »
If you don't expect miracles, I'm sure they can help. Excellent shelving, which we use in the g'house. I reckon if you oiled the zip, as with any zip, damage might be less likely? Do you want our cover, Ten? = Tim

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 10:54:13 »
I've got a couple of the mini-house shapes ones about a metre high, no shelves - about £5.00 each from Asda last year - used them for growing perennials from seed - absolutely superb, dirt cheap for the space, only problem was the cats thought they were lovely and warm and kept trying to sleep on the plants!  However, on one of mine the cover ripped away from the zip as well.  The frame is fine though, and am planning to cover with fleece instead.  Only problems I found is you need to remember to open the zip on a warm day - they really heat up - and peg down very strongly - one blew into a neighbour's garden one windy night.  This year I'm going to use them for bush toms as my husband is becoming mutinous about not being able to see out of of our bedroom windows - why he wants to look out, and not at lovely tomato plants I'll never know!  Funny priorities some people!

Tenuse

• Acre
Re:Greenhouses
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 10:01:03 »
Tim thank you for the offer but the mini greenhouse is no longer with us, now I have a nice glass lean-to cold frame!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re:Greenhouses
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 19:05:42 »
I have two of these and i find them very usefull as i dont have a 'proper' greenhouse.

They seem to retain/build up quit a lot of heat particularly if placed in a warm spot (can even get too hot at in late spring/summer). Good for giving things that extra bit of protection or for starting to harden things off.  Plants with me tend to go from indoor growing area, to mini green house, to cold frame then to garden.

Idid find that the cover on the original one i got did not last that long (a couple of years).  Hot sun tends to damage the plastic with prolonged exposure or extreme temperatures (as during last summer). But the covers can be bought seperately if you look for them, or (as I did) you can buy a new one an use the old frame as shelving.  

Sometimes garden stores that sell them include ythem in sales or do special offers on them which helps.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal