Author Topic: Oldie Moanie (AKA-When I were a lad)  (Read 889 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Oldie Moanie (AKA-When I were a lad)
« on: January 13, 2008, 19:55:05 »
This morning a young lad moaned to me that his pen had run out of ink and it wasn't the first moan of the week. I've had; 'My light-bulb's bust'...'Me shoe lace has snapped'...'I've lost a glove'.... 'The Microwave has stopped pinging' and so it goes on.
 Did I witter so much? I hope I didn't! Did I get a warm lug 'ole when I did? You bet.
 I started school and wrote on a slate pad, I wasn't allowed ink until I was 11 and then I had to mix it and pour it into inkwells. Light bulbs? We had gas lighting. Shoe laces? This house is full of string. Gloves? What's up with an old pair of socks? Microwave doesn't ping?' Have you lost your voice?

Am I just an old Grumpy or are our kids getting soft?

Your turn........... ::)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
Re: Oldie Moanie (AKA-When I were a lad)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 21:37:17 »
When I were a lass, we were that poor we couldn't afford feet.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 22:58:05 »
When I was a lad we were that poor that we had to collect all the old bits of timber that we could find and save them. Not only that we knocked all the old nails out and then straightened them and saved them to. The best days were when we found derelict old sheds that we could dismantle, repair with our saved timber and nails and re-erect. We also collected old windows and doors and saved them as well. We also had to collect all the horse manure that we could find.
When I was a lad we were that poor that we had to collect and save all our old veg and flower seeds from one year for use the next. We could only shop in the sales and were constantly on the look out for bargains and half price offers at shops and garden centres. We also had to swap things with our friends and neighbours instead of buying new. All of our clothes and were old and scruffy and we had to wear silly hats.
Hold on thats what I'm doing now 50 years on and if thats being poor then give me poor everytime.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 23:12:43 »
 ;D ;D ;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 23:18:41 »
When I was  lass I moaned because I had to eat butter and my friend could eat Stork, and I moaned beacuse my Mum wouldn't let me water down the milk on my  cornflakes like Connie's Mum did. I even moaned because Mum made me eat eggs instead of cornflakes most days.

I moaned because I had to have buckskin shoes instead of sannies and I moaned because I had tailor made clothes instead of store bought, I moaned even more because I didn't get hand me downs.

Things are not so different, spoiled brats are spoiled brats whenever!!

I might add I am the least materalistic person I know now !!!

LOL

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 00:06:48 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  I learned very early on that moaning only ever got me a thick ear ::)
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal