Author Topic: Whitefly  (Read 2439 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Whitefly
« on: January 12, 2008, 11:25:42 »
I dug up my geranium and chilli plants in September and put them in pots in my enclosed front porch.  Unfortunately they are now covered in whitefly and greenfly.  I didn't cut the plants down so they are now about 2 ft tall.  The sticky substance they are producing goes all over my laminated floor.   >:(

Should I cut down the plants to about 6 inches, disposing all the leaves or would I be better to spray them?  I thought I might be able to use some of the top bits for cuttings if I washed the insects off under a tap.  I was going to let the plants grow really tall but I don't think I can now.  The leaves are very mottled where they have been eaten.   :(

I have never been very good with growing flowers as I am more successful with vegetables so your help would be much appreciated.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
Re: Whitefly
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 22:38:31 »
would liquid deris work?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 23:49:25 »
Fatty acid based sprays
http://www.doff.co.uk/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=29
or Pyrethrin based sprays:
http://www.lovethegarden.com/products/pestdisease/napest.html
http://www.doff.co.uk/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=28

Both regarded as organic.  Deris was but has been taken off the list despite being nothing more than the extract from a legume.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 11:47:34 »
Thanks for your replies Gunnerbee and Redclanger. 

It looks as though I will have to spray with pesticides but should I cut the plant back severely?  I might try washing my chilli plant in the sink as it has fruit on it. 

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 19:05:50 »
If it is a chilli from last season I would recommend cutting it right back and letting it have a dormant period - just keep the soil damp and don't feed. They won;t need warmth but don;t let the  temp drop below 5 degC. Within a couple of weeks they will start sprouting again. I've often got a better crop in the second year.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 19:14:04 »
I would also pop one of those greenhouse sticky yellow things up to catch any that fly off in the mean time.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 21:14:19 »
For the geraniums, I would have no problem watering them with Provado, the systemic insecticide.

With regard to the chillies, if you have any french marigold seeds, I would sow a few in the compost at the top of the pots.  Might take a little while for them to germinate, and become effective, but that would be my 'organic' remedy.

We are organic, insofaras we will not spray/use any noxious chemicals on anything we eat, but have no problem using them on the 'ornamentals'.

From experience the french marigolds are the only reliable form of 'companion' planting we have used, and found to be effective.

valmarg

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 22:17:05 »
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Barnowl, I will cut one of the chilli plants right back as I sprayed it with Phostrogen Organic Insecticide and then saw on the label that it was for ornamental plants only.  Maybe I should now dump the whole plant!!

Cam, those yellow sticky things could work indoors even though they weren't successful in the greenhouse as they didn't like the automatic watering system.  I will buy some tomorrow.

Valmarg, I assume you are thinking of attracting hoverflies so they can lay their eggs and then have the larva eat the pests.  This would take such a long time and the plants would be completely eaten by May when it may be safe enough to put them outside.  This is just one of the leaves at the moment.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 15:05:04 »
No no no  pauline.  I'm not going to be very scientific, but there is something in the marigold plants, that the pepper will take up into the plant.  It doesn't affect the pepper, but the white/greenfly don't like it.

We use this method with tomatoes each year, planting two or three in the top of the pots.  Since using this companion planting, we have not been troubled with whitefly.

valmarg

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 20:19:13 »
I have never heard of that Valmarg and will give it a try once I have removed most of the insects.  I will have to sow quite a few so I can put them with my peppers, aubergines, chillies and tomatoes in the greenhouse in the Spring.  Thanks for that tip.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal