Author Topic: Which polytunnel company?  (Read 11387 times)

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
Which polytunnel company?
« on: January 10, 2008, 13:22:54 »
I've been having  a look at the forums and everyone has said buy bigger than you think you'll need. So I've priced up 10 by 25 foot tunnels as I am fortunate to have enough space in my garden.
However, the prices vary so much for what appears to be the same thing, I thought I 'd ask about good and bad experiences with the companies I have looked at
Five Star, though this is £700 which is pushing my budget somewhat
Polytunnels.com £600
Ferryman c£500 and it appears that this includes two doors and base plates .rails etc
Two wests.co .uk for £550 ish

If there are any others that seem good or have a better reputation I'll definitely have a look.
I need to get on and order it soon, otherwise I 'll still be asking the same question next year.
I've seen the link for building your own but am having difficulty in pricing this up if you can find anywhere to beg buts and bobs.

Thanks
Jo

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Which polytunnel company?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 14:05:00 »
we got ours from Northern Polytunnels, so did a friend of ours and we are getting the 42x14 communal one from them.. we've had very good service and they are very friendly people  ;D
the big one includes the 2 doors either end, don't remember about the smaller ones  :)

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 14:12:51 »
I was thinking of getting one from First Tunnels - a 10 x 25 ' tunnel there seems to cost less than £400, unless I'm reading something wrong.  Does any one have experience of this company?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 14:58:47 »
one of them, can't remember which one, doesn't supply doors, you're expected to supply the wood and make your own..keep an eye out  :)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 15:53:39 »
I was thinking of getting one from First Tunnels - a 10 x 25 ' tunnel there seems to cost less than £400, unless I'm reading something wrong.  Does any one have experience of this company?

We bought ours from First in September. They were very helpful, we had quite a lot of emails flying back and forth, if we had to do it again (which I hope we won't) I'd buy from them again, definitely.

Ours 10 x 15, and we paid just over £500 for it.  They had a discount offer on at the time, which they have several times a year.  You get what you pay for, ours came to that much because we upgraded on the polythene, we had base rails and anchor plates, the extra strong tubing, plus storm braces, crop bars and staging supports.  And we had wide doors.

They think of everytrhing, it helps to run through the instructions before you come to put it up, and any wood needs painting with preservative before you start.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 16:12:35 »
Hi - I bought mine from First Tunnels last year.  They were very good and helped me with the process.  I bought a 12 x 25 and if you look on their website you will see all the options open. 

I paid £500 for mine with extras.  I had one double door and one single. and the anti fog plastic which does keep it a lot less drippy!

The girls on the phone are very knowledgeable and when I bought (in January) they were doing 10% and I asked them to round down the final price to the £500 which they did!

The instructions for assembly are (to a woman) not the easiest - but to fellas probably really easy and I had to have male help with putting it up!

Very pleased with the end result though.

Have fun!

Old Bird!

;D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 16:36:56 »
I've bought two from First Tunnels and one from Northern Tunnels. Overall I found certain aspects of the First Tunnels design better than the Northern Tunnels one. Also the one from Northern Tunnels arrived missing a couple of small pieces which they refused to acknowledge and charged us for replacements which is why I'd never buy from them again.

One other point - do buy the insulating tape for the frame. It makes a major difference as to the durability of the cover.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 17:59:35 »
My polytunnel arrived today from Firsttunnels and so far all I can say is that all the bits arrived safely, well packed and delivered within the quoted timespan. They sent an email a few days prior to delivery to say when it should be delivered.

Mine is 12' x 25' with a standard door and an enlarged door, repair tape, anti hotspot tape and thermal antifog do dah cover in the winter sale at £417.

All I need now is for the rain and wind to stop, and a few nosy volunteers so that I can get it put into action.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 18:39:48 »
You may be unlucky with the so-called volunteers - we had loads of offers of help when people knew we were getting one, then when it arrived and d-day dawned they all mysteriously disappeared.  Luckily we managed to press-gang a few friends and there were six of us, one of whom had built his own house, so was very useful.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 19:20:47 »
Ha! The secret with volunteers is to turn up unannounced, look furtive as all the boxes and bundles are brought out of the van, then quickly get as many easy bits done while looking very suspicious. In no time at all Mr. Nosy and Mr. Curious will notice something is happening and they will investigate.

Then it is a matter of "Hold this", "Fetch that" and they oblige without question because they are simply nosy and curious.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 12:25:36 »
Hi Eristic

I would - when there aren't others around mark out where it is going and check BEFORE you find your willing volunteers!!!  Only reason I say this is the most important part is to get the posts in the right place!!

If you have distractions and other people getting bored when you are trying to do mental work - they may get bored and walk away!!! 

If you get the first ones in the ground then it is a good time to get your volunteers!!

Good luck with it!

Old Bird

;D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 13:25:21 »
Not a polytunnel as such but I like these;

http://www.solartunnels.co.uk/splendid.php

My cover has lasted 13 years and is only now showing signs of needing replacing. Also they do not need trenching. OK more expensive than a standard tunnel but they do last

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 14:18:42 »
thanks for all the advice.
My hubby, who in all honesty will be doing most of the work suggested that you get what you pay for so just order from First.

Thanks Old Bird- I might go for the 12 by 25 as it £500 was about my budget.

Another question- where can I find a bulk compost supplier to fill my beds with? and how much do you think I'll need for a 12 by 25?

Jo

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 14:38:56 »
Jo

Aren't you using the earth that you will be covering with manure and compost added?

I got some really cheap long ex roof trusses and put them along both sides and made a bed up the middle and then just used the earth that was there mixed with manure - seaweed - compost and it was completely ace!!

I think you probably can get topsoil or similar - I know B & Q do hugeish compost stuff bags but they are massive!

Old Bird

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 14:46:58 »
This calculator will allow you to work out how much material you need to fill your beds.
http://www.discountmaterialsonline.com/rydiscount/calculator/index.asp?SubPageLink=0

There is a list of bulk compost suppliers here.
http://www.recyclenow.com/document.rm?id=4523

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 16:19:53 »
To Old Bird-
I'd love to do that, however after 1 afternoon of rain, due to the amount of clay in my soil, its a bog.
I'd like to have beds of 18 inch deep on top of the clay to stop this and maybe some gravel over this too.
Thanks.
Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal