Author Topic: helpful tips please on greenhouse  (Read 2292 times)

jo2

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate couch grass
helpful tips please on greenhouse
« on: July 07, 2004, 12:30:24 »
We have got a 6 by 8 greenhouse free for our allotment. The snag is it needs dismantleing ...
Now I have only just put one up so feel pretty happy about the putting up bit but what I'm after advise on is what is the best method of removing the glass clips?
The greeenhouse is glazed in very old horticultural glass(small panes) and I'd rather not break many.  Is there a foolproof method of getting band clips out without breaking glass?
We are going to have to buy lots of clips as there are rather a lot missing-whos cheap on replacement clips?  (band ones please as I can't get on with 'w' ones!)

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re:helpful tips please on greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 15:44:15 »
Hi only help i can give i'm afraid is that wilkos sell replacement clips and also those wire thingies that go in the sides .Sorry i havent a clue as to the name.I have also got them both  from B&Q's.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

jo2

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate couch grass
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 17:12:39 »
thanks be worth having a look in wilcos hadn't thought of there, our local B&Q is a bit useless as I looked yesterday.

jo2

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate couch grass
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 09:06:23 »
Just a quick gloat.  We did it! Greenhouse down and only one piece of glass broken!  All now safely stowed in our yard waiting for when the spuds come out when it can go up.
It was an absolute swine as the rubber stuff they edge the glazing bars with had rotted and turned to a substance similar to superglue so every pane had to be carefully cut out with a knife.  The clips in the finish weren't that bad- husband just yanked on them and out they came-mostly a good 30 foot accross the garden never to be seen again!
Next fun stage is going to be carrying 40+ pieces of glass the 1/4 mile to the lottie on foot!

Yarwooda

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 09:49:26 »
One Tip. Number or letter every pain before you start.

This will indicate were they go and which way up.
This may sound common sence but mine was a Frankinsteins monster with home made cut glass of all sizes.

Once bitten twice shy.

Have fun .
dont forgey gloves and safety glasses.

Alan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal