Author Topic: Allotments in Bodmin  (Read 10402 times)

krisali

• Not So New ...
  • I'm a learner
Allotments in Bodmin
« on: January 10, 2008, 02:42:34 »
Hi Folks, Happy new year to you all. 

I've just moved out of London and am now in Cornwall; the fresh air, clean water, lack of traffic, polite people and excellent shops, all fab stuff. 

Now, does anybody know about the allotment position in Bodmin?  I've been to the council website where they have helpfully informed me that there is an actual allotment site but no indication as to waiting lists or how to contact anybody to get myself on said list.

Has anybody here got any direct experience of the Bodmin allotment site? 

Ali x

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Allotments in Bodmin
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:16:36 »
Hi, krisali..congratulations on moving to cornwall, our second home..can't help with the plot situation but I'm so envious of your move, good luck  ;D

krisali

• Not So New ...
  • I'm a learner
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 22:46:47 »
Thanks, Manic, it was a very scary move but I'm so glad that we did it.  Seems like there's a lack of Bodmin bods  ;D here so I'll post info when I find anything out just in case anybody else needs it.

janreb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 14:43:35 »
Hi Ali - welcome to Bodmin.
There is a thriving allotment group in Bodmin but I have to warn you are looking at a wait of 2 to 3 years for a half plot. If you are interested in going on the list contact the council and ask them to give you Jane Stowell-Smith's phone number and I'll put you on the list - have to say you would be number 28 on the list though.
Best wishes
Jane

krisali

• Not So New ...
  • I'm a learner
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 01:20:06 »
Hi Jane, thanks for putting me on the waiting list, even if it is a squillion light years long  ;D

Ali

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:24:09 »
Krisali

Sounds like a long waiting list - there just may be a chance - if you get to meet others on the list - of putting pressure on the Council to find a new site?!!

It may be worth asking around though!

Good luck with it and we would like to hear from you when you are successful!!

Old Bird

;D

krisali

• Not So New ...
  • I'm a learner
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 11:01:35 »
Thanks, Old Bird, I'll let you know.

I'm looking out of my back window to a panorama of green space dotted with some houses; my azada is cleaned oiled and ready for action ........................ :-\

I've contacted North Cornwall council, who referred me to the district council, who refer me to the town council, who referred, me, eventually to Jane.  Jane referred me to the local councillors who, although, sympathetic  couldn't really help.

Bodmin as a generalisation has a bad name for itself and it seems an extremely opportune time, given the governments *ahem* 'green agenda', to be capitalising on the enthusiasm of the locals and making something great in Bodmin, if Devon can do it so can we.  I've only been here for 3 weeks so am feeling quite fired up, however, I'm already feeling slightly jaded by the huge boulder that is local governement. I reckon that it'll take 3 years to recover  ;D

Happy digging to you all.
Ali

Nathan Pearson

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 18:33:26 »
Hi there If you are looking for allotment space I am creating a new design of allotments privately owned so no goose chases with the council and no waiting list! It is situated near launceston, ok a bit of travelling but with the prospect of a communal area, water, easy access car parking, toilets of a composting variety. Plus the site being regularly maintained as well as a lovely view.
Please contact me at alternating_life@hotmail.co.uk
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 18:35:26 by Nathan Pearson »

janreb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 20:54:27 »
Hi Ali - thought you would like to know you have gone four places up the list in the last two days!! Only 24 more to go!!
Jane

krisali

• Not So New ...
  • I'm a learner
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 23:47:07 »
That's very tempting, Nathan but a 50 odd mile round trip kinda defeats the object, what with those pesky CO2 emmisions ad all that.

Hi Jane, I'm delighted with the movement of the said waiting list.  See, folks, another good reason to move to Cornwall, super efficient allotment membership people.

Happy spring to everybody.
Ali x

janreb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 16:52:05 »
Hi Ali
There has been more movement with the waiting list and you are now number 20. Of course there will be those who change their mind about wanting a plot and there is at least one person who is waiting for one particular plot to become vacant, so you may go to the top quicker than we think.
Speak to you if I have any more news.
Jane

MR_DIGGIN_IT

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 09:32:57 »
Hi folks  :wave:

I have been living in Bodmin for the past 2 years now. I am now wanting to grow my own food. As I am a keen Gardner

I was wondering how I go about renting a plot to grow things like fruit and veg and herbs etc. Please

Could anyone let me know were there are local allotment sites for rent and how much are they per month or year.

All so any email or phone numbers to ring to go on the waiting list would be helpfull.

Cheers and thanks in advance

Dave  :toothy10: aka MR_DIGGIN_IT

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 14:43:25 »
Hi Mr digging it  iam near Bodmin at Victoria Roche i work with a lady who's hubby has a Lotty in bodmin,i`ll put some feelers out and get some info for you   fingers crossed, one may be out there as i know, she said theres vacant plot ts on his site

GrowYourOwn

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 03:04:57 »
Hi, I am interested in a half-plot in Bodmin. Could someone please add me to the waiting list? How many others are currently waiting and what is the approximate waiting period? Many thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal