Author Topic: fed up with the rain  (Read 942 times)

Tohellwithweeds

• Half Acre
fed up with the rain
« on: January 17, 2008, 18:57:42 »
sick to the back teeth really (where does that saying come from?) of the rain i cant get owt done on the lotty and have decided to plant some stuff at home in pots and trays so what i need to know is what, where,and when and of course compost (what sort) Ive got seeds they are peas name unknown and kelvedon wonder,carrot(early nantes5)carrot chantenay, cauliflower(all year round),peppers (golden bell,cucumber(cucumis sativua), sweetcorn(swift f1),spinach beet,radish(sparkler 3),chives so that's what Ive got so far any advice would be great and thanks for one bored lotty keeper     
Link To My Pictures
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/ToHellWithWeeds/?mediafilter=images

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
Re: fed up with the rain
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 19:05:14 »
From experience root crops do not like being transplanted so use the degradeable pots (made from paper I think) for those and just plant on as they grow larger.

You might consider growing rice though if this weather continues...

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 19:22:57 »
In Gainsborough not far from you although after another wet morning I think you got rain this afternoon whilst we got away with it. My advice with the seeds you have listed is to sit tight and wait another month at least before sowing. Sow broad beans if you have them. Sow some early peas in a length of guttering. Set some potatoes in pots. But above all remember there can still be plenty of snow to come and certainly frosts. Things can get too big in pots if sown too early and if you can't plant them out.
All we do on our allotments [or the hardy ones of us] at this time is to tidy up the site generally. This involves cutting back trees and bramble hedges, dragging out the surrounding brook, building up the main path with bricks and rubble etc. All worthwhile and stimulating work when you can't get on the allotment itself. Maybe somebody is building a shed or greenhouse and would like a hand. There is always something to do even if its only shooting rats. Its a good time of the year when people seem to work together for the benefit of all. Go down there and see whats going on and get involved with some of the more menial tasks.
So my advice is to be patient and remember that late sowings usually catch up.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 19:42:37 by morton »

morton

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 19:26:54 »
Its a surrounding d**e [or drainage ditch] but it won't let me say that so I have to put brook.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 20:26:03 »
On the other hand, look at it this way: bad weather is nature's way of giving you time to do all the indoor jobs, like washing pots, sorting out your cropping plan, making marmalade (and in our case, doing all the admin jobs that go with running an allotment....)

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 21:59:31 »
Here in doncaster my allotment is already a paddy field, the chickens have there water wings & wellies on, in fact when i went down this evening im sure a couple of them had a boat!!

At least all my water tanks are now full, also i did go a bag of poo fell in the s***t what a mess i was.

I was i little worried this afternoon a big bright thing was in the sky for a very short time think they call it the sun! ??? ;D ;D
today i will be growin veg!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal