Author Topic: Compost tumbler  (Read 1390 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Compost tumbler
« on: January 08, 2008, 14:23:19 »
http://www.gonegardening.com/xq/ASP/dept_id.77021/pf_id.1100146/referer./qx/gg_shop/product.htm

Has anyone ever used this ?  Is it worth the money ?

I will soon have lots of woody waste and something that creates compost quicker would be great.

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Compost tumbler
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 15:26:25 »
Hi - I bought one second hand and I didn't get on with very well!

I have seen the huge ones advertised and they certainly look impressive but I think that it is very much a case of getting the mix right ie NOT a lot of woody stuff just bits and pieces along with the occasional woody bit.

I may be entirely wrong - but my one I sold on to some other mug!

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Old Bird

;D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 17:29:29 »
Well, if you are going to put a lot of stuff in a tumbler, it could make it more difficult to turn so you may struggle a bit with turning. The tumbler could also take cooked food waste, including meat.

Perhaps if there is a cheap shredder, that would be better value?
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 22:04:22 »
Well, if you are going to put a lot of stuff in a tumbler, it could make it more difficult to turn so you may struggle a bit with turning. The tumbler could also take cooked food waste, including meat.

Perhaps if there is a cheap shredder, that would be better value?

Wouldn't a shredder take lots of space ?
We have 4 adults in the house so something that can deal with food waste would be good although my wife is anti a compost caddy.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 22:19:07 »
My husband once made me a compost tumbler. It wasn't very full before I did not have the strength to turn it over.......mmmmmm.......back to the drawing board!

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 23:08:38 »
Surely it would be easier to turn if the axis was lengthways.

Just build a normal compost heap and turn it over with a fork, it's cheaper too. :D

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 23:21:30 »
For a tumbler to work the cn ratio & moisture content have to be spot on. Most designs require an awful lot of effort to turn properly. They are not worth the hassle in my opinion.

A garden shredder doesn't have to be that big I have a Flymo Pac A Shredder which is great for woody stuff but still quite compact.

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 08:29:00 »
I've been hankering after a tumbler for some time now. After reading this thread, I think I'll give it a miss. :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal