Author Topic: What will you do in the garden tomorrow?  (Read 3338 times)

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
What will you do in the garden tomorrow?
« on: January 04, 2008, 11:40:33 »
Hi All,   I thought I'd start this companion thread to the "What did you do in the garden today?" thread.   

I always have great plans. So I'd thought I'd note them down etc...

Bad suggestions can then be stopped before I get around to making mistakes!!!  :)

Regards

Riffster...

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
Re: What will you do in the garden tomorrow?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 11:40:58 »
Having looked at Met check for London tomorrow, which says,  Sunny cloud, and cold. I should be able to get some things done.  OH and Daughter permitting / helping.

At the lottie, I thought I would start by digging up (for keeping) some inherited fruit bushes, and keep in buckets so I can proper dig the 10 x 16 foot area.
Turnout 2 inherited pallet compost heaps and rebuild them.

In the Garden,  I’d start some window sill herbs off ( if I can find the potting compost ).

Lets see what gets done, eh ?

Regards

Riffster…

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 12:10:31 »
snap riffster! I'll be digging, digging, and more bl**dy digging too.
I'm in the middle of moving my rhubarb from its "I've got nowhere to put it so I'll sling it in here for a bit" position to the new permanent rhubarb patch I'm making. I had no idea rhubarb roots were so huge and wide spreading :o like 3 foot long carrots!!! then I'll be making compost bins out of pallets to go where the rhubarb was.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 12:21:33 »
Haven't been up for two weeks, so will first go and check that everything's still there! Then digging over paths that were never cleared properly and hence are full of couch still...
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 12:24:00 »
topping up beds with well rotted muck, transplanting lavender out of the early potato bed, finish digging the leeks and cover the bed with card..and it's our A.G.M. tomorrow so it's a busy saturday, hope I feel better, I've got the fluey cold  ;D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 19:20:41 »
I am crossing my fingers and hoping that I can get up tomorrow, if not definitely Sunday, to start whittling down my 4 x 10m rows of autumn fruiting raspberries to something more manageable.

I took this plot over in 2007 and as usual it was a bit of a wild patch, the fruit area is the last to be sorted. I have done the currants - free time on NYE and NYD well spent! But now need to finish the job. I think it's going to take me a bit of time, over several weeks perhaps,.........especially with the tea breaks needed to step back and admire progress. So will savour it.   ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 19:24:55 »
Shovelling Sh*t out of the alley... 3 loads delivered today. OH has moved 75 wheel barrows full onto the plots bless! Still a lot to go!
 ;D

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 22:36:10 »
I will be collecting scaffolding boards for me raised beds, sunday looks good day so ill go lay them then
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 22:41:21 »
then I'll be making compost bins out of pallets

That is so 1970's.

Why do otherwise sensible people spend so much effort lugging great big pallets around when they can get a nice ready-made compost bag from the same skip? Good pallets are heavy, difficult to carry and an obnoxious size that will not fit into any modest vehicle. Making either compost or the compost bins should not take and valuable time or effort from the gardener.

If all the old sand is shaken out of the Moriati bag it will only weigh a couple of kilos and can be folded up and tucked under the arm with ease. In use, it will hold easily as much compost material as a bunker consisting of four pallets.

If anyone is bored and looking for something to do I'm sure I can find you some work.

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 11:29:26 »
well winter here, so nothing to do on the plot, i for one just build composters out of pallets, i have no problems , as i have roof rack, nothing like building up the old d.i.y skills lol
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 11:45:28 »
I used pallets because they were free at work - I can fit 3-4 in the back of my Suzuki Ignis (the back seats fold flat) and I can't see wood like that go to waste. Many pallets now come with a protective polythene sheet attached, which is great for insulation, then I line 'em with cardboard (also available from work).
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

newbies

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 11:59:42 »
I will be digging over my old onion bed, ready for spuds.  I'll also lay another path from the old bricks that are currently in my garden after building works.  I'll then probably start thinking about getting my spuds ready to chit, although I have to do this in the greenhouse, as my shed got damp last year, and I had to re do them.

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 15:56:43 »
Yes Amazin that is how I have built my 3 bins.

Tomorrow will be trying to fill the 3rd with shredded papper and horse poo
and if poss a little digging.

All that after resorting my shed.  we all had unwelcome visitor late on New years day and luckily my shed just got messed up a bit.  Others not so lucky the ones with locks on all the doors or windows damaged.

I have no lock on mine so was OK.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 16:00:13 »
transplanting overwintering poppies,  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 16:06:27 »
I will be doing any of the jobs I keep meaning to get round to ::) ::), weather permitting ;D ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 18:25:30 »
hi all,hoping to get more digging done.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 20:33:40 »
Finish shifting that muck...
 ;D

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 21:22:54 »
Digging over more endless couch out of the "paths", hacking at the brambles and waist high grass by my "shed", going home to wash out more pots and maybe finally daring to play with my new electric propagator...
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal