Author Topic: Chess set. Hand-made  (Read 5926 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Chess set. Hand-made
« on: January 04, 2008, 10:08:23 »
I have a set of hand-crafted chess pieces made by a friend I met in India about 10 years ago. He and his family have started a small cottage business carving and cutting them from quality wood.
 He sent me this set this Christmas, quite something. Sturdy enough for everyday playing but also look good on the cabinet top.
 If anyone is interested in a set I can get a fair bit knocked off postage if I ask him to send 4 sets. I'll see about some pic's later today.
 If the interest is there, I'll check the exact price and it's first come-first served for one of the four sets.
Ken

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Chess set. Hand-made
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 14:45:40 »
Wood used to carve the figures are box wood.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 12:16:52 »
Two sets left!
Details via PM.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 15:26:08 »
All gone. No more PM's please.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 23:36:37 »
I've managed another 4 sets. Arrived yesterday. Got one left! Have ordered another 4. Possibly arrive end Jan.

PM for details.
Ken.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 20:18:59 »
I managed to get another set of these chess pieces. Arrived today.  Hoping for one more in March. (All hand made.) Offers for this one via PM, please. I'll donate to A4A if there's a sale.
Ken.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 08:46:21 »
Can we not contact the maker direct, Ken? Any buyer of these from you would surely have to cover both the postage from India to you + the postage from you in Holland to us in the UK? And it would also save you shelling out your own money on spec? How much is he asking for the sets, btw? And who is donating to A4A - you or the recipient?

Confusedly yours, Lishka :-[

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 14:14:02 »
I don't 'shell out on spec' AM'. What I do is get orders locally and I round up the order to India to include a quantity that gives me a much lower price than for one set.  It's the extra sets I get that I offer outside the ordered ones.
 P&P is quite low, again due to quantity.

You could contact him direct as you would contact any supplier of any item you're interested in obtaining but I'm not passing on my contact because that would by-pass A4A and exclude the site from a donation. There is possibly a way forward and save even more on P&P but it means selling in larger quantities and I'm thinking that's a tad too close to trading and isn't what E-Buygumbay is all about.

This last set I offered has already gone to a good home so I'll be doing the local Chess-club rounds again this week and if I get enough orders I will be sending off for more sets along with some spare ones for sale.
Ken.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 21:51:51 »
You could contact him direct as you would contact any supplier of any item you're interested in obtaining but I'm not passing on my contact because that would by-pass A4A and exclude the site from a donation.

???  The inference here is that we are untrustworthy and wouldn't honour the spirit of ebuygumbay...I'm sure you didn't mean that :-\

And if you "round up the order to include..." what else is that but shelling out on spec, ie you're buying something for which you haven't a buyer in the hopes of selling it on?

And who makes the donation to Dan - you, the A4A buyer, or both, and what percentage of the buying price is expected, please? Oh, and how much are they selling for?

Continually confused...Lishka

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 18:48:04 »
.... I'll donate to A4A if there's a sale.
Ken.

I think the above from one of my previous post covers the question you have now asked me twice.

The 'percentage' question you asked about donations to A4A  is in the E-Buygumbay details which pop up when people advertise an item. Check there for those details.

Of course I trust A4A members to abide by the rules of E-Buygumbay, but not all visitors are bona-fida A4A people. Apart from which, I have put a heck of a lot of work into setting all this up and I'm not yet ready to hand over all that to some big business type that will nick my contact, thank you very much!

Quote-And if you "round up the order to include..." what else is that but shelling out on spec, ie  -end quote.

Regarding 'rounding-up' to ensure a lower buying and P&P price isn't speculation buying, it's nothing less than common sense. I find local buyers and place an order to cover that with some extra orders to full-fill the criteria for lower shipping which have always sold anyway.

Quote-you're buying something for which you haven't a buyer in the hopes of selling it on?..end quote

Excuse me for pointing out something obvious from the above posts....every set I've bought has been sold! 'Not having a hope of selling' ...Sorry, that one lost me!

So far, my buying method has proved worth-while in that I have no left over stock and every time I place an order, I get a better and better discount.
 Regarding buying price: As I say, I get a better and better discount each time I place an order, so the price for future sets will depend on the discount I get next time round.

Hope this clarifies things and answers all your questions.
Ken.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 19:46:05 »
 :-X

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 00:27:10 »
Kenkew is your friend selling these on e bay too, as you know I am searching for a chess set for my son and look at them all, I was quite surprised to se a set identical to your one on there. The seller was from India too.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 10:53:04 »
It wouldn't suprise me, Jeanine. If I manufactured anything like them I'd be advertising every where I could.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 13:16:54 »
WOW!! WOWEE!!! I followed J's lead & googled eBay 8) Must say that your friend, Ken (Jacques?) and family/friends are producing the goods 8)....@ £5.95 + p&p £18.95 for one set seems good & although these may not be the exact pieces made by your friends, it's a good benchmark....there again, if you have a friend going to India....(Cleo! Where ARE you?! ;D) and as you're  get a reducing discount for  bulk-sales, more power to your elbow! - and better for us!. Thank you ;)

For myself......I followed the eBay link to such an extent I crashed my puter ::).....looked at other sets for sale & saw similar to those made/ sold in the 'Indian Quarter' in Sing. a few years ago.....the Kings triumphant on elephants, etc. etc? Brill to see again, but for me, tho, I love my home (and home-made) set......they're made out of a broom handle ;D

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 14:36:51 »
WOW!! WOWEE!!! I followed J's lead & googled eBay 8) Must say that your friend, Ken (Jacques?) and family/friends are producing the goods 8)....@ £5.95 + p&p £18.95 for one set seems good & although these may not be the exact pieces made by your friends, it's a good benchmark etc? ;D......

Not 'my friend', Lish, but if they're the same quality you have a bargain. Get your purse out!.... :D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 20:19:21 »
but for me, tho, I love my home (and home-made) set......they're made out of a broom handle ;D

I'm sorted,  Ken,  thanks 8)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 20:23:00 »
Good on yer! Draught sets from a brush are easy enough....but I draw the line at chess pieces.
 I wonder if anyone played tiddlywinks before plastic come along?... :)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 09:41:36 »
Joseph Assheton Fincher filed the original patent application for tiddlywinks in 1888  the pieces were made from bone, ivory or wood

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 11:17:05 »
Joseph Assheton Fincher filed the original patent application for tiddlywinks in 1888  the pieces were made from bone, ivory or wood

Amazing! 8) Just love these snippets of info!....ahh, if only they'd ask that question in our pub quiz..... ;D

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 14:11:45 »

Amazing! 8) Just love these snippets of info!....ahh, if only they'd ask that question in our pub quiz..... ;D

blame the kids, they keep asking me silly questions

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal