Author Topic: Buying Raspberry Canes  (Read 8365 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Buying Raspberry Canes
« on: January 02, 2008, 18:47:29 »
I am looking to buy about 2 dozen canes of Autumn Bliss Raspberries , to replace ones recently removed due to virus and old age.

I have done quite a bit of looking around and come up with a few places selling them online /mail order. However i was wondering if any of you could recomend any particulat supplier or nursery that does mail order.

Thanks

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Buying Raspberry Canes
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 21:50:56 »
Moles Seeds have Autumn Bliss, 50 bare root canes for £35.25.

I have always been very satisfied with Moles Seeds, but I would look at some of the more recent introductions of Autumn fruiting raspberries.  I have Joan J, and would thoroughly recommend them.  They are more expensive than Autumn Bliss, but produce very large, very tasty fruits.

valmarg

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 22:31:40 »
I have only been ordering for 1.5 years but all the soft fruit ordered from Dobies has done really well and arrived in excellent condition.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 23:12:26 »
I have just ordered 12 raspberry canes from a local supplier for £10. Don't know the variety. They will be dug up for me in March now due to the hard ground.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:03:26 »
Thanks for replies

I have tried 'Joan J' but wasnt all that impressed with them, and have considered other newer varieties of autumn fruiters, that are supposed to be even better the autumn bliss, but in the end decided to stick with a variety we know and like.

Have looked at Dobies and Moles and neither seem to offer what i want. Dobies dont do Autumn Bliss and i only want 2 dozen, so 50 from Moles Seeds is far too many. Sorry! :-[

What about Crocus? The appear to be the cheapest (for the quantity required) but what about the quality of the canes? Would they be worth trying or am I better going for a more traditional nursery?

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 10:31:21 »
hi GA
what about BlackmoorNurseries?
http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php?cPath=148_149
I haven't used them myself but I think other peeps on here have, and said they were good.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 11:11:35 »
I bought my raspberries from blackmoor last year. They do great mixed deals, plants arrived weel packed and strong and even though i had them all in a pot until march every one survived and thrived! I can thoroughly recomend them
X sunloving

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 11:15:24 »
Yes when i looked at some of the suppliers in the internet, Blackmoor was one of them. I made notes to compare prices per cane, postage etc and blackmoor came out well. I just wasnt sure about service, quality and reputation. Your comments have i think put Blackmoor at or near the top of the list now. Thanks.

5rod

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 11:18:57 »
hi 5 rod here
got my raspberry canes from black-moor on line
no problem,good strawberrys too

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 13:39:10 »
www.cooltemperate.co.uk is good and friendly. 

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 14:38:15 »
GA
If you fancy a trip to Bournemouth you can dig as many as you want I am swamped with Autumn Bliss, a few people on the site are having some the rest will get put in the mincing machine

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 15:10:58 »
Yes when i looked at some of the suppliers in the internet, Blackmoor was one of them. I made notes to compare prices per cane, postage etc and blackmoor came out well. I just wasnt sure about service, quality and reputation. Your comments have i think put Blackmoor at or near the top of the list now. Thanks.

Another vote for Blackmoor here.  We've bought rasps and blackcurrants and they've  been excellent, and apple trees from there are thriving too.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 11:10:37 »
GA
If you fancy a trip to Bournemouth you can dig as many as you want I am swamped with Autumn Bliss, a few people on the site are having some the rest will get put in the mincing machine

Thanks but can you guanrantee they are virus free? Probably not so (regretfully ) i must decline your offer

Jon Munday

• Quarter Acre
    • Fruit Nursery
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 18:29:08 »
All of our canes a certified stock and I am sure we offer great value for your money.
Jon
Blackmoor Nurseries

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 18:47:32 »
Gosh it makes me feel really wasteful! I'm digging up loads that have spread beyond their boundaries and shredding them cos no-one wants any....

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 09:53:53 »
I think the problem is that if the canes are running wild then thats an indicator of a virus which can make selected varieties revert to a wilder form. This and other viruses (which can do the opposite and make the plants stunted and/or poor cropping) is probably the reason few gardeners will take such canes, particularly if they already have well bred varieties on their plots. If a virus exists in the 'inherited' canes it could quickly spread to the existing canes and ruin them to. Common advice is to only plant certified virus free stock, so even  thrifty allotmenteers will usualy steer clear of canes that are 'going spare' on another plot.

This is a problem i know too well. When I first moved to my current garden there was a neglected raspberry patch. Wanting to save money I dug up the best canes and established fresh rows in another part of the garden. The canes started taking over the area and despite plenty of attention, never produced a decent crop. In fact i never really knew what sort they were as they never cropped regularly - appearing to produce some fruit on both old and new canes in the same season. I eventualy gave up on them binned them and after changing the soil, replanted with new certified varieties, which despite not growing in the best of soils (chalky) have produced good crops, although they too are now on the wane due to age. This clearly shows that in time raspberry canes 'go wild' and loose their productivity, as well as becoming a complete nuisance!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 18:44:37 »
Hey! Hey! they don't have a virus. They aren't running wild, but over a long row you do get suckers! I'm digging them up to keep the plot within the confines I want. I'm sure if there were more folk about I'd find some takers but it's pretty quiet at this time of year.

Oh and they're not neglected but are certified varieties. They're only 3 years old and they produce bumper crops.

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 19:25:49 »
Ditto
We were excluded from our site over the winter while upgrade work was carried out and never had a chance to sort the canes out, I picked 2 kilo of fruit every day for 3 months they cropped from june to november so no virus and definatly not poor cropping I just have too many , if the canes are not fed and looked after you will end up with rubbish

princescruffster

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 19:29:28 »
I'd put them on that well known auction site.  I have just purchased 15 canes from a seller and they were great.  Don't shred them!  There are lots of hard up new allotment owners (like me) who would gladly give them a home it you'll post them   :D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 19:38:19 »
There's a difference between being "certified as virus free", and "showing no sings of having a virus". Commercial growers would never dream of buying something that wasn't certified. Given that few farmers throw away money when there's a choice, I think we can read something into this... On the other hand, I happily took some off the hands of a neighbour recently  - demonstrating the inconsistencies that make us human.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 19:41:50 by OllieC »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal