Author Topic: Cheap new greenhouses anywhere?  (Read 5027 times)

red_skydiver

• Not So New ...
  • Reading, Berkshire
Cheap new greenhouses anywhere?
« on: January 04, 2008, 14:09:31 »
I need an 8x6 polycarbonate greenhouse.  Wondered if anyone knows where new ones are selling cheaply (under £250 if possible!!!!)  I know I could try second hand ones or the freecycle website but I don't have a car and I look after 2 toddlers full time so dismantling and transporting the thing is not possible.

Whilst I'm here does a 1mm polycarbonate greenhouse work as well as a properly glazed greenhouse?  1mm sounds rather thin!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Cheap new greenhouses anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 16:19:53 »
Hi Red,
I have just given up looking for one!
 Did the freecycle, friday Ads, searching the sales etc!
Instead am creating a polytunnel from recycled bits n bobs, actually waiting for the poly to arrive today!
Cost for an 8x10 has worked out to be £95.00, so I am very pleased! ;D ;D
Did require help from my OH in building the wooden frame from hefty pallets though, so may not be suitable for you with 2 littleuns.
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 16:39:32 »
You can build your own cheaply these free plans are for an 8'x10' greenhouse glazed with polythene but you can use glass instead and/or change the size if needed. It is probably no more complicated that putting together a prefabricated frame, the design is a lot more flexible & you have the option of using high quality materials giving you a very high quality greenhouse at a very low price.

http://www.buildeazy.com/greenhouse.html

This is what it looks like using polythene.

Or using corrugated pvc sheeting.

red_skydiver

• Not So New ...
  • Reading, Berkshire
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 20:12:17 »
Wow, they look impressive.  I doubt my building skills are up to the job though!!  I tried putting together a simple bed some months back (just a few bits of wood!) but it fell apart as soon as I tried putting it in place.  A fence I fixed also collapsed some some weeks ago... it's been fixed again but I doubt it will see the year through....  Thanks for the info though.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 18:13:38 »
WOW!! that looks brilliant! What would the estimated cost be, do you think? Using the corregated plastic probably?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 13:11:05 »
For 1 8x10 greenhouse as described in the plans/pictures.
Timber (treated western red cedar) all cut to size (because I was feeling lazy) nail plates & delivery cost £75.

Glazing based on the prices HERE would be £154.14 for
19 x 1.82M 3" Profile 5 Star PVC Clear @ £6.54 each
4x 2.13M 3" Profile 5 Star PVC Clear  @ £7.47 each
Shop around & you should be able to find a much better price (closer to £100) at any builder merchants this link is more to show you what you are looking for.
You could also try freecycle or keep an eye out for anywhere that is having a pvc roof replaced. When my local bus station had their workshop roof replaced there were a couple of hundred (used but ok once cleaned) 10' panels available.

Then there are just a few bits & pieces like hinges handles for the windows etc...

One advantage of timber over metal frames is thay you can add bracket shelving internally to use as removable staging.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal